Field beans curry which is affectiontely called Mochaikottai Kulambu is one of Tamilnadu's many soul foods. Often made with Drum sticks and Egg plant, the curry is a tasty rendition of tamil culture and village cuisine. The smell of toasted beans and sesame oil takes one down the memory lane of any Tamil.
1/2 Cup of Field Beans (Mochai)
1/2 Cup of Small Onion
1 Small Tomato
5 Garlic Cloves
3 Drum Sticks
Lemon Size Tamarind
2 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
1/2 Tsp of sugar or jaggery
1/4 Cup of Coconut milk
Salt and water as needed
2 Tbsp of Sesame oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
6 Curry Leaves
2 Red Chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida
Prep Time : 25 Mins
Cook Time : 25 Mins
Serves : 3 People
- Soak Field Beans for overnight with 2 tsp of salt( Adding salt makes the skin softer)
- Wash and drain overnight water.
- Pressure cook the beans for 7 whistles and keep aside.
- Extract the juice from tamarind by keeping it hot water for 20 mins
- Heat oil in pan and add the "To Temper" ingredients one after the other .
- Now add onions and salt fry until it changes to golden brown followed by garlic. Fry for 2 mins.
- Bring it to medium flame. Now add Sambhar powder and fry well. Don't over roast.
- Immediately add veggie's (Brinjal, Drum Stick) and chopped tomato. Sprinkle some water and cover pan with lid. Let it cook for 5 Mins so all veggie's get mixed evenly with sambhar powder.
- Then add boiled field beans. Stir well then add tamarind juice and little sugar. Let it come to rolling boil then turn to low flame and keep it for 10 mins. Keeping in Low flame makes curry thicker.
- Now it is ready to transfer to serving bowl. You can serve it with rice and crispy dosa.
Health Benefits of Field Beans
- Oil roast field beans in a tea spoon of oil prior to soaking makes beans aromatic.
- Add Salt while frying onion so it helps to cook onion faster
- Always add sambhar powder directly to oil as it avoids burning sensation to stomach.
- Adding sugar/ jaggery gives sweet flavor in spicy curry.
- Fight Off Symptoms of Stress
- Good for Heart Disease
- Strengthen Immune System
Labels: South Indian Recipes