Moong Dal Rice is a one pot meal, very quick to make, yummy, nutritious and easy to digest recipe. I make this dish for lunch or dinner. You can serve with Raita or Potato fry.
3/4 Cup of Rice
1/4 Cup of Moong Dal
10 Small onion
2 Green Chillies
1 Big Tomato
3 Big Garlic Cloves
1 Tsp of Turmeric
3 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro/Coriander Leaves
2 Cups of Water
Salt as needed
2 Tbsp of Oil/Ghee
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1 Tsp of Cumin/Jeera
1/2 Tsp of Fennel/Sombu
2 Red Chillies
Few Curry Leaves
A Pinch Of Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan/cooker and add mustard seeds. Let it crackle and add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add cumin, fennel, red chillies and asafoetida one by one and allow it to fry in the same oil. [careful not to burn the cumin seeds, otherwise it goes bitter]
- Saute onion and garlic till they become light golden brown.Add chopped chillies, tomatoes, turmeric and salt to the mixture and cook until oil seperates and then add moong dal and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water and cook until it is done
- Dry roast moong dal (without oil) to a light golden color and soak it for 10 minutes in hot water before cooking. It will lead to soft dal texture, nice aroma and taste.
- You can add ghee while serving it instead of cooking with it.
- To get even richer paruppu sadam, add 1/2 a cup of coconut milk while cooking the dal.
Health Benefits of Moong Dal Rice
- A dish of basmati rice with moong dal combines carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal.
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils
and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease
Labels: Lunch Box Items, South Indian Recipes