Aamti is a traditional Maharashtra dish. It taste different from south Indian sambhar though most of the ingredients are similar. For this aamti, most important ingredient is Goda masala. Try this recipe you like it. It goes well with any vegetable fry.
To Pressure Cook
1/2 Cup of Toor Dal
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric
A Pinch of Asafoetida
1 Tsp of oil
1 Tsp of Salt
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Cumin
A pinch of Asafoetida
1 Chopped Tomato
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Chilly Powder
1 Tsp of Goda Masala
A sprig of Curry Leaves
Tamarind Pulp to taste
1/2 Tsp of Jaggery/sugar
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro/Coriander leaves
- Wash and soak the dal for 1/2 hr.
- Presure cook the dal by adding " To pressure cook" ingredients.
- Once it done, Keep it aside.
- Take a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add cooked dal and little water.
- Add tomato, tamarind juice and cook for 5-6 mins.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, goda masala, jaggery and salt to taste. Mix well and cover it with a lid and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Finally garnish it with cilantro.
- It goes well with cabbage fry or any less spicy subzi.
- You can use kokum instead of Tamarind pulp.
- You can get goda masala in any super market.
- If you don't get goda masala, try it with garam masala.
Health Benefits of Toor Dal
- Rich in carbohydrates, protein and fiber
- Excellent source of folic acid.
Labels: Dal, North Indian Recipe