Tomatoes! They are sweet, juicy and delicious. Everyone knows they are good for health, right? One of the most well known tomato eating benefit is lycopene, a vital antioxidant. This healthy low calorie chutney has a sweet-tart flavor with little spice taste. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. Tangy tomato chutney is a good accompaniment for paniyaram, idly and dosa.
2 Big RipeTomatoes
3 Garlic cloves
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric
1 Tsp of Chilly Powder
4-5 Curry Leaves
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
A Pinch of Asafoetida
2-3 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil(Sesame Oil)
Salt to taste
- Take a blender and make a puree of tomatoes and garlic and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard, urad dal, fenugreek let them turn brown.
- Now add asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry for few seconds.
- Add turmeric and chilly powder. Mix well. Make sure don't burn them. Immediately add the tomato garlic puree and add little water and salt.
- Let it come to boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 10 mins. Add little sugar and mix well.
- Then turn off the stove.
- Serve with Paniyaram or dosai or Idly
- Use fully ripen tomatoes and sesame oil for this chutney.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A, C, K and Potassium.
- They are a natural cancer fighter.
- They are a good source of chromium which helps to regulate blood sugar.