Methi are also called Fenugreek in English. Methi Pulao is one of my favourite recipe. This is easy to cook and delicious in taste that can be done in few mins. Methi leaves are saute with spices and added to rice. It goes well with raita or papad. It's great for packed lunch.
1 Cup of Basmathi Rice
1 Bunch of Methi Leaves
2 Tbsp of Ghee
2 Tsp of Jeera/Cumin
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 or 2 Cardamom
1 Bay Leaf
3-4 Green Chillies
1 inch of Ginger
1/4 Cup of Peas
Salt and water as needed
- Soak rice for 30 mins and wash the rice 1or 2 times in cold water and keep it aside.
- Wash and finely chop the methi leaves, ginger and green chillies.
- In a blender, make a coarse powder of pepper, cloves, cinnamon,bay leaf and cardamom.
- Heat the ghee in a pan/cooker. Test the oil by adding one cumin seed;
if seed crackles then your oil is ready.Add cumin seeds.
- The sheer smell of cumin seeds frying in hot oil makes it more appetizing .
- Add powdered spices and fry for few mins.
- Add green chillies, ginger and peas to a pan and fry for 2 mins.
- Now add chopped methi and fry for few secs.
- Then add soaked rice and fry for few secs.
- Add required water and salt and close the cooker. Wait for 1 whistles and turn off the stove.
- Hot delicious Methi Pulao is ready.
- Serve with papad, raita or any pickle.
- You can add onions if you want.
- You can also add carrot or bell pepper to this dish.
- For 1 cup of basmathi rice, I added 1.5 cups of water.
- For richness, add Coconut milk instead of water.
Health Benefits of Methi/Fenugreek
- Helps to treat diabetes and reduce cholesterol
- Helps in losing weight.
- Improves digestion.
Labels: No Onion No Garlic, North Indian Recipe