Chickpeas Curry or Sundal Kulambhu is a traditional dish in South India which is healthy, tasty, tangy and flavorful. When combined with plain hot boiled rice mixed with little sesame oil or ghee , this makes a wonderful lunch . This can be made with drumsticks or baby eggplant. This dish and rice goes well with keerai masiyal or mashed spinach.
1/2 Cup of Boiled Chickpeas
1 Chopped Onion(Big)
5 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
Lemon Size Tamarind
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric
1 Tbsp of Kulambu Masala Powder
1/2 Tsp of Sugar or Jaggery
Salt and water as needed
2-3 Tbsp of Gingelly(Sesame Oil)
3 Red Chillies
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
Few Curry Leaves
Pinch of Hing(Asafoetida)
- Soak chickpeas in salt water for overnight (8 hrs)and cook in a pressure cooker with salt and water just enough to immerse chickpeas for 3 whistles then turn to low heat and keep it for 10 mins and then turn off.
- Heat oil in a pan and add red chillies, wait until it turns to dark brown color.
- Add mustard, urad dal, fenugreek, curry leaves and hing (add one by one)
- Add chopped onion and salt saute for few mins until it turns transparent.
- Add garlic and fry for few mins.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric, kulambu masala powder and drumsticks. Sprinkle some water and cover it with a lid and cook in a medium flame for 3-4 mins.
- Now add cooked chickpeas and tamarind juice. Mix well and cook in medium flame for 7-10 mins.
- When the kulambu gets thick enough, add sugar and turn off the stove.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with rice...
- When you soak the chickpeas for overnight add some salt so that it soften the skin and also reduce the cooking time. Wash it 2-3 times before you pressure cook.
- Use shallots instead of big onion.
- You can use 2 tsp coriander powder and 1tsp of chilly powder instead of kulambhu masala powder.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
- High in fiber and protein.
- Low in glycemic index.
- Reduce the risk of Heart disease.
Labels: South Indian Recipes