Tomato which are actually a fruit not a vegetable loaded with all kinds of health benefits for the body. Tangy tomato rice is a one part meal. Pureed tomatoes are sauted with spices and added to rice.It goes well with raita or potato fry or papad. It's great to pack for lunchbox.
1 Cup of Cooked Rice(I used basmati rice)
3 Big Tomatoes
2/3 Cup of Chopped Big Onion
2 Green Chillies
2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Tbsp of Sambhar Powder
Few Cashews and Peanuts
Salt and Water as needed
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tbsp of Ghee
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1 Tsp of Fennel(Big Cumin)
Few Curry Leaves
Pinch of Asafoetida
1 Red Chilly
- In a blender, add chopped tomatoes and make a puree. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let it crackle and add urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves.
- Add fennel, red chillies and asafoetida one by one and allow it to
fry in the same oil. [careful not to burn the fennel]
- Add chopped onions and green chillies and saute for few mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute for few secs. Add cashews and peanuts. Fry well.
- Add tomato puree and sambhar powder, saute for few mins and add little water, cover pan with a lid. Cook in medium flame until oil separates. check the salt and turn off the stove.
- Finally add cooked rice to tomato gravy and mix well. Make sure not to break the rice.
- Tomato rice is ready. Enjoy with onion raita or any vegetable fry or spicy pickle !!!
- Use chopped tomatoes, instead of puree.
- Use shallot(small onion) instead of big onion
- Add ginger instead of ginger garlic paste.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Rich in vitamin A and C and antioxidants
- Lowers blood sugar level and blood pressure.
Labels: Lunch Box Items