Beetroot Sambhar is a lentil based stew which is so close to
my family especially my brother who love this dish a lot. This is my
mom’s recipe, during my college days whenever I take this for my lunch, all my
friends grab my lunch box and they love to eat this sambhar. This is a nice transition
to a regular sambhar. I love the combination of beetroot sambhar with ghee and
colocasia fry, which is totally out of
the world. Give it try, you will love this..
1 Large Beetroot (Diced)
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Toor dal
1 Chopped Onion (Large)
1 Chopped Tomato (Large)
2 Green Chillies
1/2 Tsp of Cumin (Optional)
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
2 Tbsp of Sambhar Powder
Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
Few Sprig of Cilantro
Lemon Size tamarind
Salt to taste
1 and 1/2 Tbsp of Oil
1 Red Chilly (Optional)
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad dal
Few Curry Leaves
Pinch of Hing
1/4 Tsp of Fenugreek
Few Sprig of Cilantro
2 Tbsp of Chopped Tomato
- Soak toor dal for 1/2 hr, wash in cold water and drain it.
- Wash and soak the tamarind in warm water for 15 mins. Extract juice from tamarind and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, cumin, turmeric powder, hing, 2 drops of oil, salt and water. Cook for 3- 4 whistles. Turn off the stove.
- Heat a pan with 1/2 cup of water, boil beetroot for 5-7 mins until it turns soft.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil, to that add red chilly, let it turn to dark brown color, add mustard, urad dal, fenugreek, hing and curry leaves, let it crackles.
- Add chopped onion and salt, fry until it turns golden brown color.
- Add sambhar powder, fry for a min. (Note : Don't burn the sambhar powder)
- Add tomato, green chillly and little water, fry for 1-2 mins. Add boiled beetroot, saute well for a min.
- Add cooked toor dal, coriander stems and tamarind water, let it boil for 5 - 7 mins. Check the salt.
- Finally garnish it with cilantro and fresh chopped tomatoes and ghee (opt). Mix well.
- Yummy Beetroot sambhar is ready to serve.
- Sambhar goes well with potato fry or colocasia fry or any vegetable fry.
- You can use 2 Tsp of coriander powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder instead of 1 tbsp of sambhar powder.
Health Benefits of Beetroot
- Betacyanin, is the pigment which gives beets red color, this pigment is responsible to fight aganist cancer.
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and folic acid.
- They are zero trans-fat and zero-saturated fat.
Labels: South Indian Recipes