Bread upma is a popular breakfast dish which can be done in 15-20 mins. This simple and delicious upma is made with bread, onion, tomato and spices. It goes well with onion raita or a cup of coffee or tea.
4 Whole Wheat bread
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onion
3-4 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
Few Curry Leaves
1 Tsp of Ginger Onion Garlic Paste
2 Green Chillies
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp of Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds / Sombhu
1-2 Tsp of Ghee
2 Tsp of Oil
Few Cilantro and green onion for Garnishing
|Ghee Toasted Bread|
- Cut the whole wheat bread into a small slices. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the bread until they get crisp and golden brown. Turn off the stove.
- Heat a pan with oil, add clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, curry leaves, fennel seeds, fry until it turns color and aromatic.
- Add onion, green chillies. Fry until it changes color.
- Take pan away from the stove, add turmeric powder, chilly powder. Fry for a min.
- Keep pan back to the stove, add ginger onion garlic paste, fry for 1-2 mins until raw smell vanishes.
- Add Tomato puree, little water and garam masala, fry for 1-2 mins until oil separates.
- Add bread pieces to the tomato sauce and saute well so that the bread absorbs all the sauce.
- Garnish it with cilantro and chopped green onions.
- Hot bread upma is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
- Adjust red chilly powder according to your taste
- Add any vegetables of your choice.
- You can also add lemon juice, for extra tanginess.
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat Bread
- Wheat bread are rich in dietary fiber.
- Controls blood sugar level.
- Provides longing lasting fullness to the stomach.
- Lowers the blood cholesterol.
Labels: Breakfast, Snacks