Matta rice is an indigenous rice grown in palakad district of Kerala. Matta rice flakes are typically used in Kerala cuisine. Healthy alternative to white rice flakes, having a high nutritional contents. This is a healthy breakfast recipe for kids and adults.
1 Cup of Matta Rice Flakes
1/2 Cup of Finely Chopped Onion
2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
Few Curry Leaves
2 Red Chillies or Green Chillies
2 Tbsp of Roasted Peanuts
Pinch of Asafoetida
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Oil and salt as needed
- Soak matta rice flakes in water for 3 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chillies, let it turn brown. To oil, add mustard, urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves, onions (add one by one) fry for a 1-2 mins.
- Add roasted peanuts and fry for a min.
- In a medium flame, add soaked matta rice flakes, salt and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Finally add grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove.
- Serve immediately with onion raita.
Health Benefits of Matta Rice Flakes
- Don't over soak the rice flakes, it will turn soggy while cooking.
- Adding peanuts are optional.
- You can follow the same recipe with white rice flakes.
- Soaking time for white flakes is 2 mins.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- Matta rice flakes are very good for the people with heart disease, diabetes and weight loss.
- Low in cholesterol, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Labels: Breakfast, Kids Corner