Poori is a famous recipe in India. It is a puffed Indian bread, made with wheat or maida, salt and water. Dough is then rolled out into circle and then deep fried in oil. It is often served for weekend breakfast. Good accompaniment for poori is potato based curries, dal and channa masala.
2 Cups of Wheat Flour
1 Tsp of Oil
Salt as per taste
Cold Water as required
Oil for deep frying
- In a wide bowl, add wheat flour, salt, oil, mix well. Add little by little water, knead well, until you get tough dough. Leave aside for 1/2 hr.
- Make a equally sized balls out of the dough, roll it out with a rolling pin make sure it should be thick.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, gently drop one by one. While frying, gently press on sides with a spatula, so that poori puffs up. Also cook on other sides, until it turns to golden brown color.
- Gently take out, drain the oil and keep it in a bowl with a paper towel at the bottom.
- Hot puffed poori is ready to serve.
2 medium size Boiled Red potatoes
1 Large Onion ( Sliced Lengthwise)
2 Medium Size Tomatoes
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
3/4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
Few Coriander Leaves to Garnish
3 Drops of Lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 Green Chillies
1/2 Inch of Ginger
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
3/4 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
Few Curry Leaves
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, fennel seeds and curry leaves, wait let it crackles for 1 min.
- Add sliced onion and salt, fry for a 1-2 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, ground green chillies-ginger paste, fry for 2-3 mins until it gets mushy and raw smell vanishes.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, sauté well for a min.
- Add potato, mix well until it gets completely coated with masala. Add little water and keep it covered and cook for 5 mins.
- Once it done, check the salt and switch off the stove, garnish with cilantro and lemon juice. mix well.
- Hot poori potato masala is ready to serve.
- Serve with hot, puffy poori.
- Don't add too much of water to the flour, as poori absorbs more oil while frying.
- You can add little rawa to the flour, to make crispy poori.
- You can use either red or yellow potatoes to make masala.
- You can also add wheat flour or gram flour, for thickening the potato masala.
- You can also add green peas to this potato masala recipe.
- You can spread the masala over the dosa, to get masala dosa.
Labels: Breakfast, South Indian Recipes