Urad Dal rice is a traditional dish in southern part of Tamilnadu, India. This rice is really protein rich, healthy and flavorful because of presence of dal, coconut and garlic. It's good to eat with coriander seed chutney or sesame chutney or coconut chutney.
1/4 Cup of Urad Dal (white)
3/4 Cup of Rice
6 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Tsp of Cumin
2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
Pinch of Asafoetida
2.5 Cups of Water
2 Tsp of Oil or ghee
Salt as needed
- Dry roast the urad dal until it turns light brown and fragrant. Soak in water for 1/2 hr. After that wash the urad dal in cold water and keep it aside.
- Soak rice for 1/2 hr. After that wash the rice in cold water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add dal, rice, garlic, coconut, cumin, asafoetida, salt, water and oil or ghee. Wait for 3 whistles and switch off the stove.
- Yummy urad dal rice is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with more milagai( buttermilk chillies) or sesame seed chutney or coriander seed chutney.
- You can use either black urad dal or white urad dal.
- You can cook in stove top instead of pressure cooker.
Health Benefits of Urad Dal
Sending this recipe to
- It is a rich source of protein especially for vegetarians
- It enhances digestion as it was high in fiber content.
- Good for heart health.
Labels: Kids Corner, Lunch Box Items, South Indian Recipes