Beans Paruppu Usili is a traditional South Indian dish which is a combination of green beans and yellow moong dal. Instead of making regular vegetable stir fry, add some dal to it, it not only enhances the taste but also good for health. This delicious and healthy dry curry goes well with any variety rice or puli kulambhu. You can use different vegetables like cluster beans, carrot, cabbage etc just by following the same recipe.
1 and 1/4 Cup of Chopped Green Beans
3 Tbsp of Yellow Moong Dal
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp of Milk
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
2 Tbsp of Chopped Onion
- Wash and finely chop the green beans into small pieces.
- Cook yellow moong dal in microwave for 10 mins by adding enough water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and urad dal, after they splutter, add chopped onion, saute this for 1-2 mins.
- In a medium flame, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, saute this for 30 secs.
- Immediately add the chopped green beans, mix well with masala, add salt and saute this for a min. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it for 5 mins in a medium flame by adding little water.
- Add some milk and cook for a min.
- Finally add cooked moong dal to the green beans and saute it for a min and then switch off the stove.
- Beans paruppu usili is ready.
Health Benefits of Green Beans with Moong Dal
- Adding milk is optional.
- You can also add ginger garlic paste, if you want.
- Moong dal can be replaced with some other dal.
- You can add turmeric and red chilly powder directly to oil or after the addition of green beans.
- Moong dal provide great source of complex carbohydrates,
fiber and protein. Also, they are an excellent source of molybdenum and
folic acid. They provide a good nutrition for diet people since they are low in fat. Also it promotes heart health.
- Green Beans are low in calories, rich in vitamins, dietary fiber and folate.
Labels: Dal, Lunch Box Items, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes