Rava Idly is a nice variation to normal rice idly where the batter needs to be fermented, lots of preparation work whereas in rava idly preparation is so simple and easy and it can be made in matter of 20 minutes and also it tastes really delicious. This quick, instant idly mix can be more nutritious and flavorful if you add some vegetables and nuts. It can be served for breakfast or dinner along with creamy peanut chutney or coconut chutney.
3/4 Cup of Sooji / Rava
3/4 Cup of Thick Curd / Yogurt
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1 Tbsp of Channa Dal / Bengal Gram Dal
1" of Ginger, Grated
1 Long Green Chilly, Chopped
Few Curry Leaves
Pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Medium Sized Carrot, Grated
1/4 Cup of Frozen Green Peas (Cooked in microwave for 2 mins )
2 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro
1 Tbsp of Coconut Dry Flakes
Salt to taste
1/4 Tsp of Soda Bicarbonate
2 Tsp of Ghee or Oil
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Water
Yield - 8 Idlies
- Heat ghee / oil, add mustard, urad dal, channa dal, after they splutter, saute this till the dal turns golden brown. Add pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Saute it for 30 secs.
- Add green chillies and ginger. Saute this for a min.
- Immediately add the grated carrot, peas and coconut flakes. Saute this for 1-2 mins
- Add rava and on low to medium heat, stir fry the rava constantly for 3-4 mins. Add chopped cilantro, saute this along with rava mixture. Take off from the heat and cool.
- In a bowl containing curd, add this rava mixture and enough water, mix well. Let this sit for 25 mins.
- On 26th min, add baking soda, you can now able to see foams after 2 mins.
- Grease idli plates with oil. Place a roasted cashewnut on each of the
greased idli plates and pour the rava batter over the cashewnut as shown
- Steam the rava idlis on medium flame for around 10 minutes. Turn off
the heat and let it sit for 5 mts.
- Remove the rava idlis carefully with a
spatula and serve hot with peanut chutney.
- Add any vegetable of your choice like beets, bell pepper..
- Add any nuts of your choice like walnuts or almonds.
- Don't allow the batter to rest for a long time, after adding baking soda.
- Add 2 or 3 Green Chilly, if you like spicy idly.
- Sodium bicarbonate can be replaced with eno salt.
- Don't add hot rava mixture to cold curd, as it kills live cultures of bacteria. Let rava mixture cool down for 4-5 mins and then add it to the curd.
Health Benfits of Semolina/ Rava
- Good source of protein and vitamin B and E
- Semolina is made from durum wheat, so it is digested slowly. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- Add some chopped vegetables to savory semolina idly and make a power-packed, as well as delicious, meal in a bowl.
Labels: Breakfast, Kids Corner, Lunch Box Items, South Indian Recipes