Paruppu urundai kulambhu is a traditional recipe from southern part of India. Lentil Balls are made from soaked toor and chenna dal, then it was cooked in gravy containing onions, tomatoes, tamarind juice and spices. This is my mom's recipe, she is a great cook because whatever she makes at home, it turns out good and tasty..I really miss all my mom's recipes.
This dish is very healthy, delicious and super nutritious but a lengthy process . Just give it a try and let me know the feedback.
To Make a Lentil Balls ( Paruppu Urundai)
1 Medium Size Onion, Finely Chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
1/2 Tsp of Fennel ( Sombhu )
1/2 Tsp of Cumin ( Jeeragam)
1 Tbsp of Coconut Flakes
Few Curry Leaves, Finely Chopped
Few Coriander Leaves, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup of Toor Dal ( Thuvaram Paruppu )
1/4 Cup of Chenna Dal ( Kadalai Paruppu)
3 Red Chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to Taste
To Make a Gravy
To Saute & Grind
10 Small Onions, Finely Chopped
2 Medium Size Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
< 1/4 Tsp of Fennel ( Sombhu)
< 1/4 Tsp of Cumin ( Jeeragam)
3 Tsp of Sambhar Powder ( Heaping)
2 Tsp of Oil
3 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Few Curry Leaves
Gooseberry size of Tamarind
Pinch of Jaggery or Sugar
To Make Lentil Balls
- Soak toor and chenna dal for 2 hrs. Wash thoroughly in cold tap water and keep it aside.
- Take a mixie jar, add toor dal, chenna dal, red chillies, asafoetida and salt. Grind it coarsely by adding very little water. Make sure the ground mixture should be thick.
- In a bowl, add ground dal mixture, add chopped onion, chopped garlic, fennel, cumin, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves and coconut flakes. Mix well with spoon or hand.
- Make medium size balls out of the ground mixture, after you done. Keep it aside.
To Make Gravy
Saute & Grind
- Extract juice from the tamarind by keeping tamarind in hot water for 15 mins. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add chopped onion, saute this for 1-2 mins.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, fennel, saute this for a min.
- Add Sambhar Powder, saute for a 1-2 mins. Switch off the stove. Let this mixture cool down for 5 mins. Grind this mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard , urad dal and curry leaves, after they splutter, add tamarind juice, bring to a rolling boil. At this moment, add the ground paste , mix well, add salt, jaggery and more water. Bring it to rolling boil (10 mins), add the lentil balls ( paruppu urundai ). Cook it for another 10- 12 mins in a medium flame. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee or gingelly oil.
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Adding jaggery is optional, it gives mild sweetness.
- Add more water to the gravy, let it come to rolling boil, before you add lentil balls.
- You can add more red chillies, if you want a spicy side.
- You can steam the lentil balls in idly cooker, before you add it to the gravy or you can add directly to the gravy.
Sending this recipe to Priya versatile recipes,
WTML march 2013 and gayathri cook spot
cook like a celebrity chef
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils
and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease
- A dish of basmati rice with lentils combines carbohydrates, protein,
fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides
carbohydrates for quick-release energy.
Labels: Lunch Box Items, South Indian Recipes