Red rice flakes are made from a red rice. It is more common to find the flakes (poha) made of white rice. Rice flakes has a earthy flavor, chewy texture and light rose in color. Healthy alternative to
white rice flakes, having a high nutritional contents. This is a healthy
breakfast recipe because of high in fiber & nutrition. Good for kids and adult. Try this recipe and enjoy.
1 and 1/2 Cup of Sigappu Aval / Poha / Red Rice Flakes
Gooseberry size of Tamarind
3 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
2 Tsp of Channa Dal / Bengal Gram / Kadalai Paruppu
2 Tbsp of Roasted Peanuts
2 Big Red Chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/4 Cup of Onion, Chopped
Few Curry Leaves
Salt to Taste
Water as needed
Soaking & Preparation
- Extract the juice from tamarind by soaking tamarind in hot water for 15 mins.
- In a blender, add aval / poha / rice flakes, make it into a coarse consistency, don't powdered it.
- Wash the aval / poha and drain the water.
- Now soak the aval / poha in tamarind water. Soak it for 10 mins.
- In a pan, add oil, red chillies (Break it ), mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, asafoetida & curry leaves. After they splutter, add onion, fry for 1-2 mins until it turns golden brown color.
- Add roasted peanuts, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add tamarind - poha mixture and mix gently. Check the salt. Turn off the stove.
- Puli aval is ready to eat.
- Don't over soak the rice flakes, it will turn soggy while cooking.
- Adding peanuts are optional.
- You can follow the same recipe with white rice flakes.
- Soaking time for white flakes is 2 - 3 mins.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- Adjust the tanginess according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Red Rice Flakes
- Red rice flakes are very good for the people with heart disease, diabetes and weight loss.
- Low in cholesterol, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, South Indian Recipes