Sago / Javvarisi payasam is one of my favorite and also very easy to make. You can make this kheer either in stove top or pressure cooker method. This kheer / payasam is a classic dessert in India made on all important occasions like festivals and weddings. Try this payasam and enjoy.. Wish you all a very happy "Tamil New Year "
1/4 Cup of Sago / Javarisi/ Tapioca
2 and 1/2 Cups of Milk
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Sugar
1 Cup of Water
1 Tsp of Ghee
7 - 10 Roasted Cashews
- Soak sago / javarisi for 1/2 - 1 hr and drain the water.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the cashews and keep it aside.
- Heat water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the soaked sago and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add milk to it, let it come to rolling boil and simmer it for 10-15 mins.
- Add sugar and cardamom, bring it to boil again.
- Finally add cashews and give a quick stir. Switch off the stove.
- Serve it in a bowl, either hot or cold.
Health Benefits of Sago
- You can add cream for a thick version of payasam.
- Adjust sweetness according to your taste.
- You can use either sugar or jaggery for sweetness.
- You can add saffron for extra flavor.
- Garnish it with raisins or almonds or pistachios.
- Sago provides energy to body as it has carbohydrates content.
- Sago is also low in fat.
- Traditional Indian medicine uses sago in combination with rice to cool
the body. Therefore, sago can function as an herbal remedy to treat
ailments resulting from too much heat, such as the production of excess
Labels: South Indian Recipes, Sweets