Uppu urundai / savory rice dumplings are tasty and healthy snack. My mom used to prepare and give me when I come back from school. This recipe is quick to make snack from rice flour. There are two versions sweet kollukattai and savory kollukattai. Sweet are made with coconut and jaggery filling. Savory are made with rice flour and tempering items.
1 and 1/2 Cup of Rice Flour
1 Cup of Water ( The amount of water depends on the quality of rice flour so adjust accordingly)
2 Tbsp of Coconut Flakes
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1 Tbsp of Bengal Gram Dal
3 Red Chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida
Few Curry Leaves
1/4 Cup of Chopped Red Onion
Few Cilantro Leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients listed under " To Temper" After they splutter, switch off the stove and transfer all the tempering items to a bowl containing rice flour, salt, cilantro and coconut flakes.
- In the meantime, boil the water to 100 degree C.
- Pour this to a bowl containing rice flour and tempering items. Mix well with a wooden spoon or a fork. Let this cool down for 5 mins.
- Knead well and make a soft and smooth dough.
- Heat idly pan in a stove. Meanwhile, make a equally sized balls out of the dough. Place this in a idly plate and stream it for 10 mins. Switch off the stove.
- Check it by inserting a tooth prick if it comes out clean then your rice balls are ready.
- Serve hot with peanut chutney or any chutney of your choice.
- You can also make rice dumplings with rice batter instead of using rice flour.
- You can add nuts of your choice.
- You can also do this dumplings with fillings like you do for sweet kollukattai.
Health Benefits of Rice Flour
- Rice are great source of carbohydrates, it acts as a fuel to the body and normal functional of brain.
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- Low in sodium, good for high blood pressure people.
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, Kids Corner, Lunch Box Items, Snacks, South Indian Recipes