This hearty and comforting soup features black beans, onion, garlic, lemon juice and some Mexican seasonings. I love thick black bean soup, if you like yours thinner, feel free to add some more water. It's raining in my place, so I make this soup with canned black beans also you can make similar soup with dried beans in slow cooker, that tastes more flavorful. Try this healthy, low fat, high in antioxidants vegetarian soup recipe that will warm up your family in less than 20 mins. If you are in diet to lose weight, this is a great recipe for you.
1 Can (15 oz) of Cooked Black Beans
1/4 Cup of Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Big Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo sauce
1/2 Tsp of Mexican Oregano
1/2 Tsp of Goya Adobo All Purpose seasoning
1/2 Tsp of Goya Sazonador Total Seasoning
Dash of Salt and Pepper
1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
1 Cup of Water or Vegetable Broth
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil or Canola Oil
1 Tsp of Chopped Onion
1 Tbsp of Sour Cream or Yogurt
5 Tortilla Chips
- Heat a pan with oil, add chopped onion and garlic, fry for a min.
- Add black beans, water, Mexican oregano, Goya Adobo all purpose seasoning, Goya sazonador total seasoning, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper, bring it to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 mins.
- Finally mash some part of black beans with masher or in blender. Check the salt. Add lime juice and mix well. Turn off the stove. Just throw the chipotle pepper before serving.
- Transfer this to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, chopped onion and tortilla chips.
- Serve it with toasted whole wheat bread .
- Adjust the seasonings according to your taste buds.
- You can follow the same recipe with any beans like red kidney beans( rajma) or chickpeas.
- If you don't have mexican seasoning, instead you can use cumin powder, salt and pepper.
- If you like it thinner, add some more water to desired consistency.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
- Black beans are an excellent source of the trace
mineral, molybdenum, an integral part of
the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for
- Good for diabetes and rich in dietary fiber.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Rich in antioxidants.
Labels: American Recipes, Breakfast, Budget Meals, soups