This pickle is very easy to make. This mango recipe is the combination of juice rich green mango and Indian authentic spices. This pickle is most popular in southern part of India. This is my mom's recipe. Like all her recipes, this one tastes so yummy and a lip smacking dish. Addition of roasted fenugreek and mustard powder makes it more flavorful. Best accompaniment is curd / yogurt rice.and also for chapathi.
1 Large Green Mango (not ripe), Finely Chopped
1.5 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil / Indian Sesame Oil
Salt to taste
1/2 Tsp of Mustard
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
- Dry roast the mustard and fenugreek for 1- 2 mins until nice aroma comes and it changes color. Let it cool down for 5 mins. Grind it to a fine powder in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle.
- Wash the mango. Take a sharp knife and discard the core. Chop the mango into tiny pieces along with skin. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dal and hing, after it splutter, add chopped mango, red chilly powder and salt, saut'e well for 3-5 mins until it turns soft but not mushy.
- In this stage, add roasted & ground powder and mix well till everything is well combined. Turn off the flame.
- When the pickle is cool, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- Enjoy this tangy mango pickle with a plate of yogurt rice.
Health benefits of Green Mango
Source : Health- benefits.blogspot.com
- For this pickle, use rock hard green mango not ripe.
- Addition of fenugreek & mustard powder gives a great taste to this dish
- Adjust the spice and salt according to the tangy taste of mango.
- Increase or decrease the spicy taste according to your taste buds.
- Add more oil to the pickle, so that you are increasing the shelf life of the pickle.
- It tastes great on 2nd day after all the flavors fully absorbed into the mango pieces.
- Drinking unripe mango juice prevents the loss of sodium chloride and iron during summer.
- Dried mango powder is highly beneficial in treating scurvy ( Vitamin C deficiency)
- Unripe mangoes helps to treat blood disorders.
- Raw mangoes are rich source of pectin, mixed with salt and honey, helps to treat gastro- intestinal disorders.
- Helps in treating liver disorders.
- Rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
Labels: homemade, pickle, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes