Red rice flakes are made from a red rice.
It is more common to find the flakes (poha) made of white rice. Rice
flakes has an earthy flavor, chewy texture and light rose in color. Healthy alternative to
white rice flakes, having a high nutritional contents. This is a healthy
breakfast recipe because of high in fiber & nutrition. Good for kids and adult. Try this recipe and enjoy.
1 and 1/4 Cup of Red Poha/ Sivappu Aval/ Flattened Rice
Salt to Taste
2 Tsp of Vegetable/ Canola Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
2 Red Chillies
Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
5-7 Curry Leaves
2 Tbsp of Dried Coconut Flakes
- Wash the poha/aval and soak it in water for 20 mins. After that, drain the water. To the soaked poha/aval, add salt and knead well with hand or mash it with a masher.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dal, red chillies(break it), curry leaves and hing. After mustard seeds crackles and dal changes color. Add this tempering to the mashed poha/aval.
- Add coconut flakes to the mashed poha and mix well with a spoon or by hand.
- Take a small portion of dough and make an oval shaped kozhukattai / dumplings.
- Arrange it in a greased idly plate and steam cook it for 5-10 mins.
- Serve with any chutney of your choice. I had with podukadalai chutney.
- You can use green chillies instead of red chillies.
- You can also add bengal gram in tempering.
- You can also use white aval instead of red aval.
- You can make kozhukattai in any shape of your choice.
- For extra health benefits, add grated carrot or beetroot.
Health Benefits of Sivappu Aval /Red Flakes
- Red rice flakes are very good for the people with heart disease, diabetes and weight loss.
- Low in cholesterol, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, No Onion No Garlic, South Indian Recipes