Ulundhu Kali / Uluntangali is a South Indian traditional delight. This traditional sweet is specially given to teen girls when they attain puberty mainly because as it strengthens the pelvic bones and muscles. This sweet is made of super nutritious ingredients like urad dal (Protein), palm jaggery(Iron) and gingelly oil (Vitamin E). You can have this healthy and nutritional dish for breakfast or as snacks. Good for adults and kids.
3/4 Cup of Urad Dal (White)
1 and 1/4 Cup of Palm Jaggery
1/4 Cup of Gingelly Oil
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup of water or as needed
- Grate the palm jaggery and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the urad dal lightly, let it cool for sometime.
- In a pan, heat the water, after it boils, add the palm jaggery , let it
be in the flame until jaggery melts and stir it occasionally. Once it
done, turn off the flame
- Powdered the urad dal finely or rava consistency using mixie or spice grinder.
- Using tea strainer, strain the jaggery syrup to get rid of impurities.
- In a medium flame, add the Jaggery syrup to the same pan, add a pinch of salt, bring it to a boil, add urad dal powder little by little and stir well to avoid lumps.
- Add oil little by little and keep on stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of a pan.
- Serve hot or cold with a tsp of ghee. Make a small balls, in the center, add a tsp of ghee. Sorry I didn't use ghee in my recipe.
- Adjust sweetness according to your taste buds.
- For sweetness, you can use yellow jaggery (Vellam) from sugarcane or Palm Jaggery (Karuppatti) from palm .
- Adding ghee gives you a rich taste.
- Addition of cardamom powder or coconut is optional.
- Always use gingelly oil for a authentic South Indian taste. Otherwise you can do full recipe with ghee.
- Try to avoid lumps while mixing.
- Adding a pinch of salt enhances sweetness.
- If you want more like a halwa padham, then you should add more ghee and oil.
Health Benefits of Urad Dal
"Best medicine for back ache "
- Urad dal provides energy to the body.
- Rich in protein.
- Enhances digestion because of high in fiber content.
- Boost heart health because of high in magnesium level.
Ability to cleanse your body, act as a digestive agent, sweeten your food in a healthy manner and provides a good amount of minerals.
Labels: No Onion No Garlic, South Indian Recipes, Sweets