The famous Bengali sweet, Rasgulla is a freshly made homemade cheese balls simmered in a pot of sugar syrup. "Ras is the syrup and gulla is a ball". I'm a big fan of Milk sweets especially I love Rasgulla and basundi because of its rich, creamy and delicious in taste.You can make this rasgulla for diwali or any festival occasion. I made this sweet for our wedding anniversary last week. For this sweet, I used 2 % milk, you can also use full cream milk and I made this recipe using pressure cooker. Got this recipe from here. This is very easy to make dish and also yummy in taste and also it can be done so quickly. Try this delicious sweet and let me know your feedback.
Make : 7 Rasgullas
2 Cups of Milk (2%)
2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
3/4 - 1 Cup of Sugar
2 and 1/4 Cup of Water
Pinch of Cardamom Powder
To Make a Paneer/ Indian Cottage Cheese
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel over medium heat, when milk starts boiling, just simmer it, then add the lemon juice to the boiling milk, stir the milk gently. Now milk will starts curdling and then whey will separate. Switch off the flame.
- Strain the curdled milk in a cheese cloth/muslin cloth placed in a strainer. Keep the bowl under strainer to collect the whey. Donot waste the whey, they are nutritious and has protein in it.
- Wash the milk solids in a cold running tap water, this has to be done to remove the lemon smell. Squeeze the excess water and hang it for 15-20 mins. After that, take out the milk solids/ paneer from muslin cloth, knead it well with hand for 10 mins until you get a soft and smooth dough and make them into a small round size balls. I made 7 balls.
To Make Rasgulla
- In a pressure cooker, add sugar, pinch of cardamom powder and water, bring it to a boil, add the panner balls and close the pressure cooker. After you get 1 whistle, simmer it for 7 mins. Turn off the flame.
- After you open, you can notice, the rasgulla will be doubled in size. Keep this rasgullas in refrigerator for 1 hr and serve it chilled.
Health Benefits of Panner / Indian Cottage Cheese
- Use homemade rasgullas to make rasmalai dessert.
- You can use the whey to make soft chapathi or in bread making. Don't waste it.
- You can also cook rasgulla in a heavy bottomed pan instead of using pressure cooker.
- Use rose water to the sugar syrup to get a nice flavor to rasgullas.
- Add pistachios and saffron strands for a color and to get a great taste.
- Paneer is a good source of vit D and calcium, which helps to build strong bones and teeth.
- Panner in moderation, is associated with lower body weight, reduced risk of insulin resistance syndrome.
- Paneer is high in protein and reduces cancer risk
- Helps in lower, back and joint pain.
- Paneer prevents osteoporosis in women.
- Good for digestive which helps in activating the hydrolysis of protein
- Whey acts as a cleansing agent, helps in function of urinary system.
Labels: Kids Corner, North Indian Recipe, Sweets