Hmmm...I Love curd(Yogurt)...I cannot live without it even for a single day....Here I used vermicilli (Semiya) which is a type of pasta thinner than spaghetti. You can make lot of dishes with vermicilli like vermicilli biryani, vermicilli payasam. This is very simple dish made with vermicilli, curd and spices. This recipe is similar to curd rice .Try this semiya bagala bath(Yogurt Vermicilli) with mango pickles.
To Cook Semiya
1/2 Cup of Semiya
1 and 1/4 Cup of Water
1/2 Tsp of Oil
3 Tbsp of Red Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Green Chillies, Finely Chopped
1/2 Inch Ginger, Grated
3/4 Cup of Curd
2 Tsp of Butter
1 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
Pinch of Asafoetida
Few Curry Leaves
Few grated carrot
- Heat water in a pan, add salt and a tsp of oil, bring it to a boil, add semiya to a boiling water, Stir well. Cover and cook for 5 mins until the semiya absorbs all the water.
- After it is cooked, keep this aside.
- Allow it to cool, add curd, mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves, when they pop up, add onion, saute for few mins, add ginger and green chillies, saute this for few mins. Now add the temperings to the semiya.
- Finally add butter and give a quick stir.
- Transfer it to a bowl and refrigerate it for 15 mins. Serve chill.
- Finally garnish with grapes and grated carrot.
- If you use unroasted vermicilli, then you need to dry roast it in a pan and then cook it.
- You can use raisins and cashews, for extra flavor to the dish.
- Adjust the number of green chilly according to your taste.
- If you are planning to prepare curd semiya for lunch box, then add 1/2 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of curd.
- Don't ever add curd to the hot semiya, in that case, live cultures get lost in the curd.
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, Lunch Box Items, North Indian Recipe, South Indian Recipes