Mooli means radish and paratha means flat bread, an Indian flatbread stuffed with radish. It is very popular in northern part of India. I always use radish to make sambar, for a change I made this paratha and the taste was so good. The one thing I liked about stuffed paratha is that, it does not need any separate side dish . But making stuffed paratha without the filling oozing out is an art but I am stilling learning to master it. Serve this delicious, filling paratha with plain yogurt or pickle.
1 and 1/4 Cup of White Radish, Grated
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
Pinch of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp of Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp of Ginger , Grated
1/4 Tsp of Ajwain / Omam
2 Tsp of Oil
To Make a Dough
1.5 Cups of Wheat Flour/ Multigrains Flour
2 Tsp of Oil
Salt and water as needed
- Peel the skin of radish and finely grate it . Add little salt to it and sit for 10 mins. Squeeze out all excess of water.
a wide bowl, add wheat flour, salt, oil and
warm water. Mix well. Knead the dough like you do for chapathi. Keep
aside for 15 mins.
- Take a pan with oil, add ajwain, after sizzles, add grated ginger and fry for a min.
- Add grated radish, fry for 1-2mins. To that add turmeric, coriander powder,
red chilly powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Fry for 1-2 mins till all the water evaporates and it turns dry. Once it
done, switch off the flame.
- Stuffing is ready. Keep this aside.
- Heat a tawa or chapathi pan. Meanwhile make a equally sized balls out of the dough , dust the counter top with some flour and roll it into a circular shape, keep the stuffing inside, fold the paratha and roll it into square shape. Carefully place the paratha in a pan.
cook the paratha in medium heat. When bubbles starts appearing, apply
oil and flip it to the other side.Let the other side also get cooked.
- Serve it with onion raita or pickleor plain yogurt.
- If you find difficult to roll out the paratha, add little stuffing and then roll it. Otherwise still feel difficult, add the stuffing, directly to flour and then knead it with oil, salt and water.
- Don't add water while sauting the radish because it makes our rolling part difficult.
- Addition of ajwain is for easy digestion.
Health Benefits of Radish
- Naturally cooling food.
- Good for weight loss.
- Sooth sore throats.
- Aids in digestion.
- Prevents cancer - Induces apotopsis, which means kills the cancer cells.
- Good for heart and lungs health.
- Prevents viral infections and urinary tract infections.
- Eliminates toxins, they are good detoxifier.
Labels: Breakfast, dinner, Lunch Box Items, No Onion No Garlic, North Indian Recipe