Lentil Powder are also called Paruppu Podi in tamil. Paruppu podi is a blend of spices and lentils, with full of fresh flavors and aroma. I always prefer homemade podi than store bought podi, as they are preservative free and less spicy and no adulterants added. They are very simple to make instant mix powder and can be done in less than 15 mins.This is my mom's recipe. My mom always prepares them in large quantities, but I always prepare them in small quantities as just for me and my husband. This is my husband's fav podi too and he always starts his lunch with this podi, rice and ghee. Try this healthy, protein rich powder with rice and let me know your feedback.
1 Cup of Toor Dal / Tuvaram Paruppu
1/4 Cup of Roasted Bengal Gram / Pottukadalai
6 Red Chillies
1 Tsp of Black Pepper
1 Tsp of Cumin
10 Curry Leaves
1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida
1/4 Tsp of Gingelly Oil(Indian Sesame Oil)
Salt to Taste
- Heat oil in a pan, roast all the ingredients except roasted bengal gram and salt, till they turn golden brown color and aroma arises. Once it done, turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down for 5-10 mins.
- In a blender (Mixie), grind all the roasted ingredients, roasted bengal gram and salt to a fine powder. Store it in an airtight container.
- Serve it with hot white rice and ghee or gingelly oil and sutta appalam on side. Also it tastes great with any kootu.
- Roast the ingredients in medium low flame and stir constantly , to avoid burning.
- Always store it in an airtight container, otherwise it loses all the flavors and aroma.
- Adjust the amount of red chillies according to your taste.
- If you are not sure about salt measurement, just add a tsp of salt and grind it, if you think it is less, then add it to the rice while mixing.
Health Benefits of Lentil Powder / Paruppu Podi
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease
- A dish of rice with toor dal powder gives carbohydrates, protein,
fiber and fats to get a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides
carbohydrates for quick-release energy and toor dal gives protein.
- Toor dal is useful in the treatment of internal organ swelling.
- Toor dal contains folic acid, good for women health.
Tags : paruppu podi, podi recipe, south Indian podi recipes, how to make paruppu podi, podi, lentil powder, instant mix podi, bachelor recipe, instant mix, toor dal powder
Labels: Budget Meals, homemade, Medicinal food, No Onion No Garlic, South Indian Recipes