Sundal is a south Indian salad made with different legumes. Channa sundal /Kondakadalai sundal/ chick peas salad is a easy and healthy evening snack. Also we make this for festival occasions particularly for Navarathri and Vinayaka chaturthi.. Sundal can be prepared either with white or black chickpeas. Both are rich in protein and nutritious. Here it comes the recipe for channa sundal.
1/2 Cup of Channa / Kondakadalai / Chick Peas
1 Tbsp of Coconut
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Red Chilly
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Asafoetida
Few Curry Leaves
- Soak chick peas in salt water for overnight (8hrs). Next day, wash it in cold water and pressure cook by adding salt, oil and water, for 2 whistles , simmer it for 35 mins in low flame. After that, turn off the flame. Let the pressure release on its own.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chilly, mustard seeds, urad dal, after it splutters, add asafoetida and curry leaves, followed by channa, salt and coconut, mix well and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Healthy Channa sundal is ready to eat.
- You can use green chilly instead of red chilly.
- You can add chopped onion while tempering.
Health Benefits of Sundal / Chickpeas
- High in fiber, iron and protein.
- Rich in manganese and folate.
- Stabilizes blood sugar and low in glycemic index.
- Reduce the risk of Heart disease.
- Prevents breast cancer.
- Due to high in fiber and low in GI, they are good for weight loss
Labels: Budget Meals, Kids Corner, No Onion No Garlic, salad, Side Dishes, Snacks, South Indian Recipes