In this recipe, I have used kala chana or Black chickpeas to make this gravy. Black Chickpeas are darker in color and nuttier in texture. They are very high in protein, fiber and low in glycemic index. This dish is easy to make and very flavorful because of the addition of spice powders. This gravy is also little sour in taste because of tomatoes which blends very well with kala chana. This masala goes well with roomali roti or chapathi or rice.
1/2 Cup and 2 Tbsp of Black Chickpeas / Kala Channa
1 Big Red Onion, Finely Chopped
1.5 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
3 Medium Size Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
2 Green Chilies
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1 Tsp of Cumin Powder
2 Tsp of Channa Masala
2 Sprigs of Cilantro (Coriander Leaves)
1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
Pinch of Black salt
Salt to taste
3 Tsp of Oil
- Soak the black chickpeas in water for 8 hrs or overnight. Drain the water and wash it tap water. Pressure cook the chick peas for 2 whistles (once the pressure builds ), simmer it for 30 mins and turn off the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan, when it is hot, add chopped onion and salt, fry this until it turns golden brown.
- Add green chillies and ginger garlic paste, fry this for few mins until raw smell goes off, take off the pan from heat, add coriander powder, red chilly powder, cumin powder and channa masala, keep the pan back to the stove, in a medium flame, fry this for a min. Add chopped tomatoes, sauté this until it turns soft and mushy.
- Now add black chickpeas, mix well with all the masala, add enough water, turn on the heat to high, let it come to a rolling boil, then cover the pan and simmer it for 10 mins. Add the chopped coriander leaves and black salt. Turn off the flame. Finally add lemon juice and mix well.
- Hot, flavorful kala chana masala is ready to serve with roti.
Health Benefits of Kala Chana / Black Chickpeas
- You can use white chick peas in place of black chickpeas.
- This masala tastes so good after few hours after all masala blends together.If you want to eat for dinner, try to prepare 2 hrs before you eat.
- You can give cumin tadka (Tempering) in oil, if you want.
- If you got amchur powder(Dry mango powder), you can add it at the end.
- You can add chaat masala in place of black salt.
- Rich in vitamins, protein, anti-oxidants, dietary fiber and minerals.
- Decrease cardiovascular risk.
- Supports digestive tract
- Better regulation of blood sugar.
- Good for weight loss because of high in fiber.
Labels: curry, North Indian Recipe, Side Dishes