Pal Kozhukattai / Rice dumplings in jaggery coconut milk sauce is a authentic dessert in south India. This dish is very simple to make and heavenly in taste. This can be eaten as snacks on weekends. You can make this kozhukattai either with cow's milk or coconut milk. For sweetness, you can try it sugar or jaggery. Here I used jaggery to make this kozhukattai.
It can also be prepared on festival occasions like vinayagar chaturthi.. I bet this perfectly shaped rice balls in jaggery-coconut milk sauce will definitely win your heart. Try this paal kolukattai recipe in your home, they are so juicy and soft.
To Make Rice Balls
1 Cup of Rice Flour
1 and 1/2 Cup of Water
1 Tsp of Oil (Gingelly Oil/Ghee/Vegetable Oil)
Salt to Taste(about 1/2 Tsp)
To Make Jaggery Syrup
1 Cup of Jaggery
1 and 1/2 Cup of Water
3/4 Cup of Coconut Milk(Canned) and 1/4 Cup of Water
3 Cardamom, Crushed
- Sieve and take the rice flour in a wide mixing bowl.
- In the mean time, heat a pan/wok, add water, salt and oil, boil it for few mins.
- In a medium flame, slowly add the rice flour to the water, mix well with a wooden spoon without forming any lumps. To test, pinch a marble size dough and make a ball out of it. Now dough is ready.
- Grate and measure the jaggery. Meanwhile, heat a pan with water and add jaggery, let it boil in the stove for few mins. Once you get the boil, turn off the stove. Filter the jaggery water, to remove impurities.
- Grease your hand with oil, and start making round balls from the rice dough. Take the filtered jaggery water again in the same pan, when it starts boiling, add the rice balls. Cook for 10 mins in a medium flame.
- Once the jaggery water thickens and kozhukattai floats on top of the pan, add crushed cardamom and coconut milk and water, mix well. Turn off the stove.
- After 30 mins, serve it hot or cold in a serving bowl. I love cold kozhukattai. Yum..yum..
Health Benefits of Kozhukattai
- You can use store bought rice flour or home made rice flour to make kozhukattai.
- You can replace jaggery with sugar.
- You can replace coconut milk with cow's milk
- After pouring the coconut milk, don't boil it. Then it starts to curdle.
- Increase or decrease the jaggery as per to your taste.
- You can make coconut milk with coconut instead of using canned ones. In that case, you have to make thick and thin coconut milk.
- Make uniform size balls for even cooking.
- You can make this kozhukattai round shape or any shape. My mom makes it like long cylindrical shape.
Rice : Gives you instant energy and they are easily digestible.
Jaggery : Rich in minerals, cleansing agent, digestive agent, prevents bile disorders.
Coconut Milk : Substitute for coffee cream, build strong bones, moisturize skin, fight infection, maintain blood sugar levels.
Labels: dessert, diwali, festivals, Kids Corner, Snacks, South Indian Recipes, Sweets, vinayagar chaturthi recipes