Black eyed peas also known as Lobhiya in Hindi or Karamani in Tamil. This is very easy to make side dish for roti. I really love the combination of black eyed peas and mushroom, as both are rich in protein and fiber and makes a satisfying meal with rice. You can cook the black eyed peas either in pressure cooker or crock pot. Addition of spice powder to the black eyed peas makes it more flavorful and tasty. Try this Karamani Kalan Masala with rice or chapathi and let me know how it turned out. Also check my other recipe of black eyed peas curry in south Indian style
3/4 Cup of Black Eyed Peas / Karamani
3/4 Cup of White Mushroom, Sliced
3 Cups of Water plus 1/2 tsp of Salt for cooking dried peas
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
2 Red Chilly
1 Inch of Cinnamon Stick
1 Big Red/White Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Big Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
2 Big Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of Chopped Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves
- Soak the black eyed peas in water for 8 hrs. Drain the water,wash it in tap water for 2 times.
- In a pressure cooker, add black eyed peas, salt and water, cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles and simmer it for 25 mins. Once it done, turn off the flame.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add cumin seeds, red chilly and cinnamon stick and let them sizzle for 10 secs. Add the onion, salt, garlic and cook, by stirring frequently until it turns soft and golden brown, for 2-3 mins. Add mushroom and fry for 2 mins. Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder, fry for a min. Add little water and chopped tomato, fry for a min. Cover and cook for 8-10 mins until it turns soft and mushy.
- Add the cooked black eyed peas to the tomato - mushroom mixture and simmer, cook it uncovered for 10 mins. Stir in the fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti.
- You can use dried beans or frozen or canned beans to make this curry.
- If you don't have red chilly powder, replace it with cayenne pepper.
- Add salt while frying onion, so it helps to cook onion faster.
- If you don't want mushroom in your curry, try with some other vegetables like brinjal or potato.
Health Benefits of Black Eyed Peas
- They are a source of good protein (23-32%) and dietary fiber.
- They have low glycemic index
- Rich source of lysine and tryptophan
- It has minerals like K, Mg, Ca, P and Fe
- The protein isolates are known to lower plasma cholesterol
- Light brown, red and black - eyed varieties are rich in antioxidants.
- The flavonoids in beans may help reduce heart disease and cancer risk.
- Phytosterols present in the beans help reduce blood cholesterol levels.
Labels: North Indian Recipe, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes