When I was looking for some healthy and eggless cake recipe,I saw this recipe in Anjum Anand show in BBC. But I slightly altered that recipe to my taste buds. This semolina cake is very simple to make with household ingredients, just combine all the veggies, spices, semolina and yogurt in a bowl, transfer it to a baking pan and finally bake it in an oven. Addition of yogurt makes the cake moist and tasty. On every bite, sesame seeds gives a nice crunchy taste. You can have this cake either for sunday breakfast or as evening snack with tea or coffee. This cake is super moist on inside and crusty on outside. Try this eggless no butter cake in your home. Even diabetic people can enjoy this snack cake.
1 Cup of Rava (Semolina )
1 Cup of Thick Curd (Yogurt)
2 Tbsp of Water
1 Medium Size Carrot, Grated
5 Green Beans, Finely Chopped
3 Tbsp of Green Peas
1 Inch of Ginger, Grated
2 Green Chilies, Finely Chopped
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp of Baking Soda
1-2 Tsp of Sesame Seeds
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp of Whole Cumin
1 Sprig of Curry Leaves
3 Tbsp of Oil (Vegetable or Canola Oil)
Salt to taste
Yield : 1 Loaf
- Wash and chop the beans and green chilly into fine pieces, grate the carrot and ginger. Keep this aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina, carrot, beans,green peas, green chilly, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, grated ginger, water and thick curd(yogurt), mix well with a spoon. Now the batter should be thick.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F(180 degree C)
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin, after it splutters, add curry leaves. Transfer the tempering to a batter, give a quick stir. Finally add baking soda to the batter and mix it.
- Grease the loaf pan with oil and pour the batter to the baking pan, sprinkle the sesame seeds on the top and bake it for 30-35 mins. Insert the tooth prick/skewer in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, let it cool down for 5 mins and then slice it and serve hot with tomato ketchup.
Health Benefits of Semolina/ Rava
- You can also make this cake in a pressure cooker by having sand at the bottom.
- You can add chopped onion to the batter, if you want.
- Here I used roasted rava (sooji/semolina) to make this cake.
- You can use any vegetables like capsicum, beetroot or cabbage.
- Always add baking soda at the end, that is before pouring the batter to the baking pan. It helps the cake to rise.
- Topping with sesame seeds gives a nice taste and also gives beauty to the cake.
- Always use fresh curd which makes the cake tasty and moist.
- Good source of protein and vitamin B and E
- Semolina is made from durum wheat, so it is digested slowly. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- Adding vegetables to savory semolina cake and make a power-packed nutrients, as well as delicious meal.
Labels: bread, Breakfast, cake, Kids Corner, No Onion No Garlic, North Indian Recipe