Puran poli / Kadalai Paruppu Poli / obbatu is a traditional sweet (dessert) prepared during auspicious occasions and important festivals like diwali, vinayagar chaturthi, ugadi and holi. This is a first time I prepared poli in my life and I made this for diwali celebration conducted in nearby library in US. Everyone tasted my poli and said it was awesome and tasty.
Coming to the recipe, the stuffing is called puran and the outer cover is called poli. The filling is prepared with chickpea lentils, toor dal, jaggery and coconut. The outer cover is prepared with maida, oil, turmeric powder, salt and water. Here comes the poli recipe with step by step pics....Try this kadalai paruppu poli and enjoy :-):-)
For Outer Dough
1 and 1/4 Cup of All Purpose Flour(Flour)
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
6 Tbsp of Cooking Oil
Salt to taste
Water as needed
- Take a mixing bowl, add flour, turmeric powder, salt and oil, mix well with hand. Add water little by little, mix it and knead it to a soft and smooth dough. Pour some oil over the dough until the dough is completely soaked in oil. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let the dough rest it for 4 hrs.
For Inner Dough
1/2 Cup of Toor Dal
1/2 Cup of Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
Pinch of Turmeric Powder
1 and 1/2 Cup of Jaggery
3 Tbsp of Grated Fresh Coconut
3 Whole Cardamom
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Other Ingredient (To make Poli)
3 Tbsp of Oil or Ghee
- Soak both the dal in water for 30 mins, wash it in a tap water and drain it. Keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker add both the dal, turmeric powder and enough water about (2.5 cups) close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Open the lid, drain the water using colander. In a mixie(blender), add both the dal, grind it for few mins, add jaggery, cardamom and grind it to a smooth mixture. [Note : If your mixture has extra moisture like mine, just fry it in a pan until it becomes thick.]
To Make Puran Poli
- Heat a pan with ghee, add grated coconut, fry it for a min, keep it aside. To the same pan, add the ground dal mixture, keep stirring in a medium flame, until the moisture goes off and mixture thickens. Add the roasted coconut, fry well for few minutes. Once it done, turn off the flame.
- Filling is ready. Let it cool down completely.
- Make lemon sized balls out of the outer dough(maida)
- Make small sized balls out of the inner dough (Dal-jaggery mixture)
- Take a ziplock bag or flat wooden base, grease it well with oil, place the maida ball, slowly apply pressure with your fingers over the dough or roll it with a rolling pin and make it like a small chapathi (patty). Now place the inner dough ball(pooranam) in the middle of the patty, slowly bring all the outer edges together in the center and seal it, to prevent the leakage of pooranam . Now again slowly apply pressure with your fingers or roll it with rolling pin and make it like a circular thick patty. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the dough.
- Heat a tawa (griddle), in a medium heat, apply some oil or ghee, carefully place the poli, You will see tiny bubbles rises on the surface of poli. Now it's time to flip the poli with a spatula. Once first flip is done, apply oil or ghee on the upper surface and spread it. Cook until you get brown spots on both sides.
- Yummy hot puran poli is ready to serve. Serve with a dollop of butter or ghee.
- It stays good for 2-3 days.
- You can use chiroti rawa in place of maida or you can use whole wheat flour or mix of maida and chiroti rava to make outer dough of poli.
- You can use toor dal or chana dal or mix of both the dal to make this poli.
- Do not comprise with the amount of oil and ghee. Otherwise it won't taste good.
- You can cook the dal either in pressure cooker or in a heavy bottomed pan.
- You can make poli either thick as mine or thin as chapathi.
Health Benefits of Lentil, Jaggery and Spices
Tags : poli recipe, poli, puran poli recipe, paruppu poli, kadalai paruppu poli, how to make poli, obbatu recipe, paruppu poli recipe, indian festival sweets, festival recipe, diwalisweets, indian sweets
- Jaggery acts as a digestive
agent, used to cleanse the body
and provide a good amounts of minerals.
improves digestion and prevents cancer.
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils
and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease
- Toor dal is useful in the treatment of internal organ swelling.
- Toor dal contains folic acid, good for women health.
Labels: dessert, diwali, festivals, Kids Corner, North Indian Recipe, South Indian Recipes, Sweets, vinayagar chaturthi recipes