Spinach nutriton is amazing !!!The calcium content in spinach strengthens the bones. Also rich in Iron, Vitamin A and C, folic acid, magnesium and flavanoids. Potatoes are also rich in vitamin, minerals, starch and fiber. Combination of this fiber and iron rich vegetables along with spices and dried methi leaves makes Aloo Palak.
Aloo Palak is a authentic Punjabi dish which is nutritious and quick to make. This brilliant green curry goes well with naan, chapathi or rice.
2 Small Potatoes
2 Cups of Spinach
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onion
2 Green Chillies
1 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Chopped Tomato
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
2 Tbsp of Kasturi Methi/Dried Methi Leaves
2 Tbsp of Fried Onion
1 Tbsp of Yogurt
1 Tbsp of Besan Flour
2 Tbsp of oil
Salt and Water as needed
- Boil the potatoes in microwave or cooker and cut into small cubes and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl add yogurt and besan flour. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion, green chilly and salt. Saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric, chilly powder and saute for 1 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes, kasturi methi, spinach and salt. Saute well for 5 mins until it get cooked.
- Turn off the stove and let it cool for 5 mins
- Now take a blender/mixie, add fried onions and spinach onion mixture and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil/butter and add the ground palak puree and add some water and salt. Cook in medium flame for 5-7 mins.
- Add the boiled potatoes and besan yogurt paste. Mix well and cook in medium flame for 5 mins till the potatoes absorbs all the flavors.
- Finally add garam masala and mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Season with fresh cream or cheese if desired.
- Serve hot with roti or peas pulao or jeera rice.
- Add little salt while boiling the potatoes.
- Adding fried onions and cream gives a rich taste.
Health Benefits of Potato and Spinach
- Spinach secret weapon, lutein helps to prevent cataract.
- Both spinach and potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and iron.
Labels: North Indian Recipe