The worldwide used versatile vegetable called Okra or Lady's Finger or Bhindi. Their nutritional benefits are numerous, as they are rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. In this dish the spices brings out the flavour to the okra while dried mango powder gives tangy taste. This dish is one of the popular restarunant menu, it taste great to eat with chapathi, paratha or rice
12-15 Lady's Finger, Small Size
2 Green Chillies, Cut into lengthwise
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric powder
1/4 Tsp of Saunf Powder or Fennel Powder
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp of Garam masala
1/4 Tsp of Dry Mango Powder (Amchur Powder )
1/2 Tsp of Dried Fenugreek Leaves or Kasoori Methi
Cilantro or Coriander Leaves to garnish.
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Cumin or Jeera
Pinch of Asafoetida or Hing
Few Curry Leaves
- Wash the lady's fingers in cold tap water and wipe it with towel or paper towel and dry it for 10 mins.
- Chop the top and bottom part of the lady's finger, then cut in lengthwise into two parts. Cut all the others in the same manner.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute lady's finger for 3 mins in medium - high flame until brown and remove from pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, heat some oil, add mustard,
cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, fry until it turns golden brown.
- In a medium flame, add turmeric powder,
saunf powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, green chillies and lady fingers, fry and mix it
well with the masala. Cook for 2 - 3 mins.
- Add amchur or dry mango powder, salt and
garam masala to the pan and saute it well with the lady fingers. Stir the
masala continuously for 2-3 minutes. Then cover the pan with a lid and
cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Open the lid, add kasoori methi, mix well with the lady's finger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Finally garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Bhindi Masala is ready to eat.
- Serve it with hot chapati, parantha or Rice
- You can add chopped onions, tomatoes and ginger garlic paste, to get extra gravy but different taste.
- Don't add amchur powder when you are adding tomato because both are tangy in taste.
- Adding kasoori methi makes twist to the dish.
- No onion no garlic recipe.
Health Benefits of Lady's Finger or Okra
- Low calorie vegetable.
- Rich source of viamin A,C,K and folates.
- Excellent source of dietary fiber.
- Ideal vegetable for weight loss.
Labels: No Onion No Garlic, North Indian Recipe, Side Dishes