This traditional Indian dish
is often served over
rice or roti and is a staple food in many Indian restaurants and households. This
recipe is the combination of spinach and bengal gram dal. It is not only
delicious, a good source of non-meat protein and it also has a number of
health benefits. It taste absolutely delicious when you eat it with a tsp of ghee.
To Pressure Cook
1/2 Cup of Bengal Gram / Kadalai Paruppu
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric
1/2 Tsp of Oil
1/2 Tsp of Salt
Pinch of Hing
Water as needed (~2 Cups)
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Red Chillies (Opt)
4 Garlic Cloves
2.5 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
1 Tbsp of Fried Onions
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1 Cup of Chopped Baby Spinach
1 Tsp of Kasoori Methi (Dried Methi Leaves )
Few Sprigs of Cilantro leaves
- Soak channa dal or bengal gram for 2 hrs before cooking. Wash and drain it before cooking.
- In a cooker, pressure cook by adding all the "cooker items" ingredients as shown above, with enough water and wait for 5-7 whistles and switch off the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the "To Temper " Ingredients as mentioned above. First add red chilly, saute till it turns dark color.
the garlic for a min. After that, add tomato puree and fried onions, saute it for 1-2 mins.
- Add turmeric and chilly powder
to it. Fry for a min.
- Now add chopped spinach to it and saute this for 1-2 mins.
- Add the cooker items (Dal) to a pan. Allow it to boil for 5 mins. Stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom. Add kasoori methi at this moment. Let it come to rolling boil and turn off the stove. Adjust the salt to taste.
- Garnish with Cilantro/Coriander leaves.
- Serve it with roti/nan/rice.
Health Benefits of Bengal Gram & Spinach
- You can do the same recipe with methi leaves or any greens
- Use different dal like toor or moong by following this recipe.
- You can enrich the taste by adding 1tsp of ghee.
- You can also add lemon juice while serving.
- Adding red chilly is optional instead add green chilly.
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils
and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease
- A dish of basmati rice with moong dal combines carbohydrates, protein,
fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides
carbohydrates for quick-release energy.
- One cup of spinach has nearly 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which
aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and
- Spinach are rich in anti-oxidants
sending this recipe to priya versatile recipes
tickling palatte &
Labels: Dal, South Indian Recipes