RAJMA MASALA/ RAJMA CHAWAL-NORTH INDIAN RECIPES
Rajma in Hindi literally means Red Kidney Beans. Rajma Masala is a classic Punjabi Curry, cooked in a onion and tomato gravy with the addition of Indian aromatic spices. The most important thing is to cook rajma perfect in pressure cooker or crock pot to get perfect rajma curry. This is a protein and carb packed food as it can be served with plain rice or cumin flavored rice or chapathi. Rajma chawal is a wonderful and comforting food for weekend lunch.
1 and 1/4 Cups of Rajma / Red Kidney Beans(soaked overnight, pressure cooked )
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
2 Tsp of Garam Masala
2 Tsp of Dried Methi Leaves / Kasoori methi
2 Tsp of Oil
Salt to taste
Water as needed
Dollop of Butter to taste
1 Large or 2 Medium Size Onions, Puree
2 Medium Sized Tomatoes, Puree
1 Inch Size Ginger
1 Green Chilly
- Soak rajma for overnight in salted water for 8 hours, then in a pressure cooker or crock pot add rajma, enough water(~4-5 cups) and salt, cook this for 3 whistles, simmer it in a medium-low flame and keep it for 15 mins and switch off the stove. Now soft Rajma is ready.
- Put onion in a blender and make a puree by adding little water. Keep this aside
- Put tomato, ginger and green chilly in a blender and make a puree by adding little water. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion puree and salt to it, saute this for 1-2 mins until oil seperates and changes color.
- Add tomato, ginger, green chilly puree, saute it and cook this for 2 mins until oil oozes out from sides.
- Add Turmeric powder, red chilly powder and garam masala, fry this along with onion-tomato mixture and cook it for 1 min.
- Add cooked rajma, mix well with the masala and add some water to it, let this mixture comes to a rolling boil and simmer it for 5 -7 mins. Adjust salt to taste.
- Using ladle, press some of the rajma (Mash it) this will help giving some thickness to the gravy.
- Crush some fenugreek leaves between palms and add this to the masala and mix well.
- Finally add a dollop of butter and mix, cook for a min and switch off the stove.
- Before serving, garnish the dish with some fresh chopped red onion..
- Rajma masala is ready to serve with jeera rice, yogurt and papad.
- Adding kasoori methi is optional. It gives aromatic twist to the gravy.
- You can add cream or butter, it gives rich taste to the gravy.
- If you have ginger garlic paste, use that instead of adding ginger alone.
- Always fry onion puree for 2 mins until raw smell vanishes. otherwise it spoils the dish.
Health Benefits of Rajma
- Good source of cholesterol lowering fibers which prevents blood sugar levels.
- When combined with rice, rajma makes fat free high quality protein.
- Lowers heart attack risk.
- Good source of vitamin B6,C and minerals
- Excellent food to be included in weight loss diet.
- 100 grams of boiled Rajma beans contain 140 calories. 5.7 grams of protein, 5.9 grams of fat and nearly 17.8 grams of carbohydrate
Labels: Kids Corner, Lunch Box Items, North Indian Recipe