Are you new to the torta or have you tried torta before. A Torta is a Mexican sandwich, served on an oblong 6-8 inch toasted sandwich roll. Main ingredients are steak or chicken or pinto beans and garnishing ingredients are avocado, cheese, jalapenos, poblano , onion and tomatoes.
You can make a simple bread into creative and healthy snack for kids and adults. The addition of Pinto beans and guacamole are very good for our health, also it gives extra taste and creamyness, addition of tomato ketchup gives tangy taste and of course jalapenos gives extra kick to the snack because of mild spiciness. This is very easy to make, healthy and super nutritious. You can pack this for kids lunch box as this snack is colorful, also it is packed with carbs ( from bread) protein ( from Pinto beans) and good fats ( from Avocado ) Try this torta wedges and let me know your feedback.
2 Whole Wheat Bread, Toasted
1/2 Cup of Cooked and Mashed Pinto Beans
1/2 Cup of Guacamole
2 Tbsp of Tomato Ketchup
10 Slices of Jalapenos
Few Sprigs of Cilantro
2 Tsp of Ghee or Butter
- Spread butter or ghee over the bread and then toast your whole wheat bread in a bread toaster until it turns crisp.
- Using knife, cut the bread into shapes like triangle or circular.
- Take a spoonful of mashed pinto beans and just spread it over the bread pieces.
- Next, place guacamole on top of the mashed pinto beans.
- Squeeze some tomato ketchup on top of the guacamole.
- Place the slices of jalapeno next to the guacamole.
- Follow the same steps to the rest of the bread pieces.
- Open Torto wedges are ready. Finally garnish it with cilantro.
- You can put some cheddar cheese or any cheese on top of the guacamole.
- You can also use mayonnaise or vegenaise, if you like.
- Your bread should be crisp for this snack.
- You can see my guacamole recipe with video and pinto beans recipe in my blog.
Health Benefits of Torta Wedges
- Whole wheat bread are very good for health.
- Pinto beans, like most of the other beans, are rich in fibers that are known for lowering cholesterol.
- This beans are rich in molybdenum, folate, manganese, protein, vitamin B1
and minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and copper,
which are highly beneficial to health.
- Inhibits the growth of cancer.
- Rich in folate and vitamin C
- High in beta-sitosterol, a compound helps to lower cholesterol level.
Labels: American Recipes, Breakfast, Kids Corner, No Onion No Garlic, Snacks