Fried rice is an Asian-inspired dish that has become so popular and now available all over the world. I'm a big fan of this rice. Making it is simple; combine cooked rice with sauteed vegetables and meat of your choice, season with soy sauce and ready to serve. I love to eat this rice on cold winter night.
Try this recipe and let me know your feedback.
2 Cup of Cooked Rice / Leftover rice
2 Red Chillies
2 Chopped Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Onion
1/4 Cup of Finely Chopped Carrot
1/4 Cup of Peas
1/4 Cup of Green Bell Pepper/Capsicum
1/4 Cup of Broccoli Florets
2 Tbsp of Corn
7 Snow Peas, chopped or whole
1/4 Cup of Bean Sprouts
2 Green Onion
1 Tsp of Black Bean Paste(opt)
1 Tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp of Tamari
1/2 Tsp of Sugar
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Tsp of Pepper
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil/Butter/Corn Oil/Sesame oil
- Soak, wash the rice and cook it in pressure cooker for 3 whistles along with carrot, peas and water or use left over rice.
- Heat oil in a wok or large pan and add red chillies and garlic. Saute for 2 Mins until red chillies turns dark brown.
- Add onion to a pan and saute for 2 mins.
- Add all veggies( brocoli, bell pepper, corn, snow peas and white part of green onion) saute this for 2 mins. Sprinkle some water and cook this for 3 Mins by placing lid on top.
- Now add pepper, salt, sugar, black bean paste(opt), tamari and soy sauce. Mix well with veggies. Cook it for another 2 mins.
add the rice. once you add your rice to the wok, turn the
heat to high. Your wok
or pan has to be so hot that it makes every single grain of
rice to jump and dance off in the wok. Stir-fry tossing continuously for
about 5 minutes (adding in more soy sauce and black pepper if needed to
- When the rice is heated through, add the bean sprouts into the pan.
Mix thoroughly. Finally add the green part of green onion. Serve hot.
Health Benefits of Fried Rice
- Don't add hot rice while making fried rice, it should be cold.
- If you want to get exact Chinese flavor add black bean paste, fish or oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- You can also add more vegetables like mushroom, baby corn and bamboo shoots to get a great taste.
- Soy sauce comes in light or dark. "light" is little saltier than "dark". If you use "dark" soy sauce, your rice looks dark brown in color also different taste.
- Basically soy sauce are high in sodium level, for the health reasons, I used low sodium soy sauce.
- Soy sauce are made of 50% soy beans and 50% wheat. But Tamari are made of 100% Soy beans and no wheat in it. So tamari is ideal for people following gluten free diet .
- Making fried rice at home is a more nutritious rather than buying a takeout order from a restaurant .
- You can boost the vitamin, mineral and nutrient content of your dish by using brown rice instead of white rice to add fiber and get the nutritional benefits of whole grains.
- Instead of using high fat meat, use a low fat meat substitute, scrambled eggs or more vegetables. Finally, keep salty condiments to a minimum and don't fry the rice in more than a couple tablespoons of oil to reduce total fat and calories.
- Chinese Egg Fried Rice
- Indo-Chinese Fried Rice
Labels: American Recipes, Chinese Recipes, Lunch Box Items