This simple and delicious dish are made from potato and cauliflower. You can make aloo gobi in different ways, but this is a way I do it at home. I got this recipe from my friend...You can also do the same recipe without onion and garlic. The spices and masala added makes curry more flavorful and tasty. It can be served with naan, phulka, paratha or jeera rice. I had with coconut paratha, it tasted so good.
1 Large Yellow Potato, Diced
1 Small Cauliflower, 10 Florets
1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Large Tomato, Finely Chopped
1 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Tsp of Dried Methi Leaves
1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tbsp of Oil / Butter
Salt to Taste
Water as needed
Few Coriander leaves with stems
- Wash and peel the potato skin, cut the potato into big pieces.
- Wash the cauliflower florets in hot tap water or soak it in hot water with salt for 10 mins. Drain the water and wash it in tap water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and cumin seeds, after it splutters, add chopped onion, fry for 1-2 mins until it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry for 2 mins until raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomato and coriander stems, fry until it turns soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder & turmeric powder, fry in medium heat until raw smell goes off.
- Add cleaned cauliflower florets, potato pieces, garam masala and salt. Fry well with masala for 2 mins. Add 1/4 Cup of water, cover the pan and cook in medium flame for 10 mins. Stir in between for even cooking.
- Now take out the lid, check whether the potato are boiled properly, add dried fenugreek leaves, mix well with veggies, add some more water, cover the pan and cook it for another 2 mins.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Check the salt and turn off the flame.
- Aloo gobi is ready. Serve with paratha or phulka or naan or jeera rice.
Healthy Benefits of Potato and Cauliflower
- You can do the same recipe without onion and garlic instead add hing and ginger.
- For aloo gobi mutter, add peas by following the same recipe.
- Add amchur powder instead of tomato for a tangy taste.
- Add green chilly for a extra spicy taste.
- Always soak and clean the florets in hot water with salt before cooking because of pesticides and small worms in it.
- Rich source of carbohydrates, fibers, vitamins and minerals.
- Good for brain function and digestion.
- Increase body weight because of carbohydrates in it.
- Good source of calcium and magnesium, so it helps to reduce rheumatism.
- Excellent source of antioxidants.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Protect against cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease.
- Clean your digestive system.
- Good source of vitamin B and minerals.
Labels: North Indian Recipe, Side Dishes