which are actually a fruit not a vegetable loaded with all kinds of
health benefits for the body. This colorful &Tangy tomato peas pulao is a one part meal. Puree tomatoes and peas are sauted with spices and added to rice.It goes well
with raita or potato fry or papad. It's great to pack for lunch.
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1 Big Red Onion, Finely Chopped
6 Garlic Cloves
2 Green Chillies
6 Mint Leaves
6 Soya Chunks
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Green Peas
5 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
2 Tsp of Sambar Powder
1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
1/4 Cup of Milk
2 Tbsp of Water
1 Sprig of Cilantro / Coriander Leaves , chopped
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil
2 Tsp of Ghee(Clarified Butter)
1 Medium Size Cinnamon
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tsp of Mustard
1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
5-6 Curry Leaves
For the Rice - Pressure Cooker Method
- Soak basmati rice for 1/2 hour. Wash the rice for 1 or 2 times and keep this aside.
- Wash and chop the onion and slit the green chillies.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water and cook it for 1 whistle. Turn off the flame.
Preparing Soya Chunks
- Cook soya chunks either in a pressure cooker or in stove top method, take a pan, add water, soya chunks and salt, boil it until it turns soft. Let it cool down for a min, squeeze water from soya chunks, wash it in tap water , squeeze it and then use it.
To Make the Gravy
- Heat a pan with ghee and oil, add all the ingredients listed under " To Temper" list. After mustard and fennel seeds splutter, add onion, salt, garlic and green chillies, fry for 2 mins until it turns golden brown color.
- Add mint leaves, cashews, soya chunks, peas and tomato puree, fry for 2 mins until raw smell vanishes.
- Add sambhar powder, garam masala, fry well with veggies for a min.
- Add milk and water, bring it to a boil and simmer it for 2 mins. Add chopped cilantro and turn off the flame.
- After the gravy cooled down, add rice, mix well with gravy. Check the salt and add accordingly.
- Tomato Peas pulao is ready.
- Serve papad and raita or plain yogurt or any vegetable fry.
- Use ginger garlic paste instead of garlic.
- Use 3 medium size tomatoes instead of tomato puree.
- Use coconut milk for flavor & rich taste.
- If you don't have sambar powder instead add 1 Tsp of coriander powder and 1 tsp of chilly powder.
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A, C, K and Potassium.
- They are a natural cancer fighter.
- They are a good source of chromium which helps to regulate blood sugar.
- Less in calories
- Strong immune system and anti-aging properties.
- Prevents Alzheimer's, stomach cancer & wrinkles.
Labels: Lunch Box Items, South Indian Recipes