Carrot Raita is a yogurt based condiment made with carrots, thick curd/yogurt, chopped onion, green chillies, cumin powder, tempering items and salt. This is a simple, more colorful and creamy dish which tastes really great with spicy pulao like beetroot pulao, tomato rice etc. This bright colored, cool dish also compliments paratha or chapathi.
2 Cups of Thick Yogurt / Curd
2 Medium Size Carrots
1/2 Cup of Red Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Green Chilly, Finely Chopped
1/4 Tsp of Roasted Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Few Curry Leaves
Few Cilantro Leaves
- Wash and grate the carrots and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl with yogurt and beat the yogurt to get a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add grated carrots, chopped onion, chopped green chilly, roasted cumin powder and salt to the yogurt. Mix well.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, urad dal and curry leaves, after they splutter, add this tempering items to a bowl containing yogurt.
- Finally check the salt and garnish it with cilantro leaves.
Health Benefits of Carrot
- Serve this raita for beetroot pulao or tomato rice or any spicy pulao or paratha.
- You can add more green chilly, if you want more spicy side.
- You can also add pepper, if you want.
- Good for the eyes.
- Prevents cancer.
- Vitamin A and antioxidant in carrot protect the skin from sun damage.
- Prevents heart disease and stroke.
- It has anti-aging property.
Labels: North Indian Recipe, South Indian Recipes