Vatha Kulambu podi is used mainly in the preparation of vatha kulambu (Tangy & spicy Stew), also you can use this powder to make puli kulambu, kara kulambu and stir fries. This
powder is prepared by oil roasting and dry roasting of whole spices, make
it to a fine powder using a spice grinder. Ingredients and method of
making this powder may vary from one home to other home in south India. This is my mother in law's recipe. She makes the best vatha kulambu, it just tastes divine with hot white rice, gingelly oil and kootu. Here is the recipe for the spice powder.
1 Cup of Red Chillies
1.5 Cup of Coriander Seeds
6 Tsp of Bengal Gram
6 Tsp of Toor Dal
3 Tsp of Whole Pepper Corn
3 Tsp of Whole Cumin
4 Tsp of Rice
1 Tsp of Fenugreek
1 Tsp of Asafoetida / Hing
1 Tsp of Oil
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, bengal gram, toor dal, pepper, cumin and rice , roast it one by one until it turns light brown color and aroma comes.
- Heat oil in a pan, roast the red chillies, hing and fenugreek until it turns to light brown color.
- When it cooled, grind all these ingredients to a fine powder.
- Store it in an air tight container.
Health Benefits of Spice Powder / Vatha Kulambu Podi
Coriander Seeds : Protects against salmonella bacteria, aids in digestion, lowers blood glucose and cholesterol.
Red Chillies : They not only add heat to the meal, high in vit A, boost immunity, weight loss, prevents cancer.
Black Pepper : prevents cancer, weight loss, powerful antioxidants, dental health, antidepressant.
Cumin : aids in digestion and respiration, good for lactating mothers, boost the immunity, prevents cancers.
Fenugreek : good for diabetes, aids in digestion, good for skin disorders and lactating mothers, cancer prevention, rich in fibers
Toor Dal and Bengal Gram Dal: Excellent source of carbohydrates, fibers and protein.
Mustard Seeds : high in anti-inflammatory, antioxidants and anti fungal properties, rich in selenium, reduces migraine problems
Hing : Good for indigestion and flatulence
Rice : Good source of carbohydrates and provides energy to body.
- Always be careful in roasting the spices, don't burn it.
- You can use this powder to make Puli kulambu , kara kulambu and stir fries.
- You can also make podi (Powder) by adding red chillies and coriander in a equal proportion.
- You can grind either in spice grinder or mixie or flour mill.
- Storing is most important, so store it in an airtight container.
My next post is Kara Kulambu recipe by using this spice powder..
Labels: homemade, South Indian Recipes