Kidney beans is also called Rajma, is a well known pulse that is extensively used all over the world in the preparation of variety of dishes, particularly in dishes like rice, curries, salad or toppings. Kidney beans are rich in iron, protein, fiber and other minerals. Consumption of this beans gives you a healthy heart.
Coming to this recipe, this dish is made from kidney beans(Rajma). You can use dried rajma or canned variety to make this curry. If you prefer to cook with the dried variety, soak the beans in water for at least eight hours, boil in a pressure cooker or crock pot, until they turn very soft. This curry is easy to make with the simple ingredients, delicious in taste with hot chapathi or phulka or naan. Try this recipe and let me know your feedback.
1.5 Cups of Cooked Rajma/ Kidney Beans
1 Small Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum)
1 Medium Onion, Finley Chopped (About 1/2 Cup)
2 Medium Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 Tsp of Fresh Ginger, Minced
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
2 Medium Size Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
1.5 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder / Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1/4 Cup of Cilantro (Coriander Leaves), Finely Chopped
1/2 Tsp of Cumin (Jeera)
2 Tsp of Vegetable Oil
- Heat the oil in a skillet or a pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and fry until the lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 seconds.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, garam masala, red chilly powder and salt, cook until the tomatoes and bell peppers are soft, about 5 mins.
- Add the Kidney beans(Rajma) and 1 cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pan and cook, stirring from time to time, until the mixture thickens and a sauce forms, about 10 mins.
- Add more water if prefer a thinner sauce. Transfer the beans to a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and onion, and serve hot with chapathi or naan or phulka.
- You can add green chilly for more spicy taste.
- You can use dried kidney beans or canned beans to make this curry.
- Use butter or ghee to get a rich taste of curry.
- You can also add dried methi leaves for a different twist to the dish.
Health Benefits of Rajma( Red Kidney beans)
- Kidney beans are high in Iron and protein, it has eight essential amino acids in it.
- The darker the color of the beans has higher, the anti-oxidant content.
- Maintains the blood sugar.
- Good for brain.
- Improves bowel Movements
- High in magnesium and fiber helps in lowers the blood cholesterol levels
Labels: North Indian Recipe, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes