Peas Pulao / Mattar pulao / Pattani sadham is one of my favorite rice and easy to make one pot meal. This is my mom's recipe and my husband's favorite dish too. Whenever he comes to my home, my mom prepares this rice and a mushroom gravy for him. He just loved it. You can make this pulao either in stove top or in pressure cooker. This pulao can be done in 15 mins and it tastes yummy. It's great to pack for lunch box for kids and adult. It goes well with any spicy gravy like aloo palak and onion or cucumber raita.
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1/2 Cup of Green Peas
1 Large Red Onion, Finely Chopped
3 Small Onion
1 Tbsp of Fried Onions(Optional)
5 Garlic Cloves
2 -3 Green Chillies, slit
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
5-7 Curry Leaves
10 Mint Leaves
2 Tbsp of Chopped Coriander Leaves
Salt to taste
1 Cup of Water
1/2 Cup of Coconut Milk
2 Tsp of Lemon Juice
2 Tsp of Oil
2 Tsp of Ghee
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 30 mins. Drain the water and rinse it in tap water for 2 times. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a cooker, add clove, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, fennel seeds, curry leaves. Saute this for few secs. Add chopped red onion, small onions, green chillies and salt, saute this for 2 mins until it turns golden brown.
- Add garlic cloves, fry for a min.
- Add mint leaves, coriander leaves and peas, fry this for a min.
- Add rice, saute this for a min.
- Add water, coconut milk and fried onion, mix well. Check the salt. Close the pressure cooker with a lid and cook for 2 whistles. Turn off the flame. Let the pressure release on its own.
- Open the cooker, add lemon juice, mix gently with a fork or spoon.
- Serve hot with any spicy gravies like aloo palak and raita. I had with mushroom korma.
Health Benefits of Peas
- You can use ginger garlic paste instead of using whole garlic cloves.
- Adding fried onions are optional.
- Use lot of small onions instead of large onion, if you want more taste.
- If you don't have coconut milk, just use water alone.
- Don't break the rice while mixing.
- Addition of lemon juice gives a mild tangy taste.
- Rice : water ratio is for 1 cup of rice :1.5 cups of water.
- They are low in fat.
- Prevents stomach cancer.
- Anti-aging, strong immune system and energy.
- Prevention of wrinkles.
- Regulates blood sugar levels.
Labels: Budget Meals, Lunch Box Items, North Indian Recipe, South Indian Recipes