Idly is a soft rice cake and a popular south Indian comforting breakfast dish. Chaat means savory snack. If you get bored of doing idly upma and podi idly with leftovers, then you should give a try with idly chaat. This idly chaat recipe is made with leftover idly. Seriously, they are so tasty, golden crispy on outside and soft bite on inside. I bet your kids will love this chat for sure. If you have leftover idly sitting on your fridge, then try this crispy idly chat..yum..yum.. and enjoy with hot cup of tea..
2 Big Idly
2 Tbsp of Red Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp of Tomato, Finely Chopped
1 Tbsp of Carrot, Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp of Omapodi (Sev)
1/2 Tsp of Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp of Black Pepper or to taste
Black Salt to taste
Tomato Ketchup (optional), before serving
1 Tbsp of Oil
2 Tsp of Butter or Ghee
- Dice the leftover idlies.
- Heat oil and ghee in a non stick pan, swirl the pan so that it coats all the surface of the pan. In a medium heat, place diced idlies to the pan, wait until it turns golden brown. Flip the idly to the other side with spoon and wait till it turns golden brown on other side. Turn off the flame and transfer it to the serving bowl.
- Now sprinkle some chopped onion, tomato, carrot, black pepper and black salt. After that, add lemon juice and coriander leaves, gently give a quick stir. Add tomato ketchup before serving.
- Hot golden crispy idly chaat is ready to serve...Enjoy with hot cup of tea :-):-)
- Always use leftover idly instead of fresh idly because they turn soggy.
- You can deep fry the idly instead of shallow frying.
- If you have leftover idly in fridge, then leave it outside for 1hr and then do the chat.
- You can grate the carrots instead of cutting them.
- Add tomato ketchup at the end, because it makes idly soggy and you cannot feel the crispy texture of idly.
- You can add kara boondhi instead of sev (Oma podi).
- You can use red chilly powder for spicy taste.
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, idly, Kids Corner, Lunch Box Items, North Indian Recipe, Snacks, South Indian Recipes