Red onions are excellent source of healthy essential vitamins, minerals and phyto chemicals that provides long term health benefits. Including red onion in your diet may helps to prevent chronic diseases. Chutney are the perfect side dish for idly and dosa. This is my grand ma recipe, they are really spicy, pungent and flavorful chutney and very easy to make with few ingredients. Try this onion chutney without coconut for hot idly ,dosa and paniyaram.
1 Big Red Onion
2 Big Garlic Cloves
2 Big Red Chilies
1/2 Tsp of Tomato Paste (optional)
Small Pinch of Tamarind
Salt and Water as needed
1.5 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Few Curry Leaves
- Roughly chop the onion.
- In a mixie (blender), add onion, red chilies, tomato paste, garlic, tamarind, salt and water, grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, after it splutters, add the ground onion paste, cook it until it turns thick in consistency, for about 10 mins in a medium low flame.
- Yummy onion chutney is ready to serve with hot idly or dosa or paniyaram.
- You can make this chutney more spicy by adding 3 to 4 red chilies and little bit of red chilly powder.
- You can also have this chutney without tempering, that tastes raw and spicy though, but it goes well with hot idlies.
- Gingelly oil gives a nice taste to the chutney.
- You can also skip the tomato paste, if you don't want.
Health Benefits of Red Onion
Tags : chutney recipe, onion chutney, onion chutney recipe, vengaya chutney, side dish for idly and dosa, onion chutney for idly and dosa, how to make onion chutney
- Red onion contains lot of organosulpur compoundd which is protective against cancer like prostate, colorectal and stomach cancers.
- Another compound called onionin which reduces inflammation by suppresing the activity of immune cells. Anti-inflammatory effect is beneficial to people who has allergies, asthma and arthritis.
- Onion contains chromium, which helps to regulate blood sugar.
- Good source of minerals and vitamins like B6, K and C.
- Allicin in onion fights against rejuvenative disease and fungi.
- Increases the production of good cholesterol thereby prevents the heart diseases.
Labels: Chutney, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes