I love sweet potatoes because they taste so good and high in nutritional content. This sweet potato roast (Chinni Kilangu poriyal) is a very easy to make side
dish for sambar rice or dal rice. To make this sweet potato fry, first you have to steam the sweet potatoes, peel the skin, slice and
fry it with sambar powder & garlic, finally in cast
iron pan, slowly roast it in oil. Slow roasting the sweet potatoes, always
gives a nice crispy texture on outside and soft and tasty on inside.
Adding spice powder, garam masala and garlic gives a nice flavor and taste to the sweet potato. This sweet potato stir fry Recipe|Sakkarivalli kilangu poriyal
goes well with rasam rice / curd rice. Also check my other potato recipe BABY POTATO ROAST in my blog.
2 Sweet Potatoes, Medium Size
2 Big Garlic Cloves
1 Tsp of Sambar Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds (Sombhu)
1.5 Tbsp of Cooking Oil
1/2 Tsp of Salt or to taste
- Wash the sweet potatoes and steam it in a steamer or idly cooker for 12 mins or until it turns soft. After it done, peel the skin and chop them into thin, circular slices.
- Crush the garlic in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add fennel seeds, after it sizzles, add sliced sweet potatoes, give a gentle stir, by flipping the slices to other side.
- In a medium flame, add crushed garlic, sambar powder, garam masala and salt, give a quick stir, do not break the slices, make sure the masala coats all the sweet potatoes pieces. Cover the lid and cook it for 5 mins.
- Take handful of water, sprinkle it over the veggies, turn the potato slices to other side, cover the lid and cook it for another 7 mins until it turns brown and crisp.
- Yummy sweet potato fry is ready to serve with sambar rice or dal rice
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato
- If you don't have sambhar powder, add 2 tsp of coriander powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of red chilly powder.
- If you don't have coriander powder and red chilly powder, replace it with cayenne pepper/ black pepper powder and salt.
- Always roast the potatoes in cast iron pan / irumbu kadai to get crispy roasted potatoes.
- You can also marinate the potatoes in masala for 15 mins and then cook it.
- Adding garlic is to avoid gas flatulence.
- High in vitamin A, B6, D and C.
- Good Source of iron and magnesium.
- Superior fiber content than other potatoes.
- Rich in beta carotene & antioxidants.
- Good for heart.
Tags : Sweetpotato, sweet potato fry, Sweetpotato fry Indian style, sweet potato roast, sweet potato stirfry recipe, chinnikilangu poriyal, sakkaraivalli kizhangu poriyal, how to make sweetpotato fry, sidedish recipe, sidedish for sambarrice, southindianrecipe, sweetpotatodishes, Lunchsidedish,
Labels: Budget Meals, Lunch Box Items, Side Dishes, South Indian Recipes