Arisim (Arisiyum) Paruppu Sadam


                                                   Lentils Rice Recipe


             Dal rice or lentil rice is a comforting and traditional vegetarian meal popular in South India. Dals are fat - free and highly nutritious. The tempering is what makes the dal more exotic and delicious. Ghee used here changes the flavor and taste of the seasonings.

         Coming to Arisiyum Paruppu Sadam, I'm a big fan of this rice. Because I did my most of my schooling in Coimbatore. All my friends bring this rice in lunch box, almost once in a week. So I am really fond of this rice. In Coimbatore and Erode district, this dish is a soul food, they have this rice anytime for breakfast or lunch or dinner. I still remember in school days, during vacation, I stay in my close friend's house, her mom makes this rice for dinner along with yogurt and rice crackers. We all sit together in outer verandah and eat under moon light ..those are unforgettable moments..but this recipe I got it from neighbor grandma...she makes the best lentil rice. So here is the recipe.Try this healthy, easy one pot meal and enjoy...



    Ingredients

         3/4 Cup of Rice
         1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp of  Toor Dal
         1 Big Red Onion, Finely Chopped
         3 Whole Small Onions
         1 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
         2 Green Chilly, Slit it lengthwise
         1 Large Tomato, Finely Chopped
         2 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
         Salt to Taste
         2.5 Cups of Water

    To Temper

          1 Tbsp of Oil /Ghee
          1 Clove
          1 Medium Size Cinnamon Stick
          1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
          1 Red Chilly
          1 Tsp of Mustard
          1 Tsp of Urad Dal
          Few Curry Leaves
          Pinch of Hing

    To Garnish

          2 Tbsp of Chopped Coriander Leaves/ Cilantro
          
        
    Method

 


   Tips

  1. 3/4 Cup of rice + 1/4 Cup of dal, I used this ratio in my recipe. 
  2. 1/2 Cup of rice + 1/2 Cup of dal


   Health Benefits of Dal and Rice


Labels: ,