Urad dal chutney is popular in Tamilnadu, India. Main ingredients for this chutney are urad dal/black gram along with onion, coconut, red chillies and other seasonings. Urad dal and other ingredients are oil roasted and ground to a fine paste and finally seasoning added to it. It goes well with idly or dosa or paniyaram.
3 Tbsp of Split Urad Dal (White)
1 Medium Size Red Onion, Diced
1 Tbsp of Dried Coconut Flakes
Tamarind (Blueberry Size)
2-3 Red Chillies
1 Sprigs of Curry Leaves
Pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil ( Canola/ vegetable oil)
1 Tsp of Oil ( Canola/ vegetable oil)
1/2 Tsp of Mustard
1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and roast until it turns to slightly golden brown color. Transfer this to a plate.
- Heat oil in a same pan, add red chillies, asafoetida and onion, saute this for a min. Then add dried coconut flakes, tamarind, curry leaves and salt, saute this for 2 mins. Turn off the flame. Transfer this to a plate. Let it cool for 5 mins.
- Transfer this urad dal-onion mixture to a blender/ mixie, grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer this to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal, after it splutter, transfer this to a serving bowl containing chutney. Mix well. Urad dal chutney is ready.
- It goes well with idly or dosa or paniyaram
- You can use black whole urad dal instead of white split urad dal.
- You can use one tomato for extra tangy taste.
- Use fresh grated coconut in place of dried coconut flakes.
- Adjust the number of red chillies according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Urad Dal
- Urad dal provides energy to the body.
- Rich in protein.
- Enhances digestion because of high in fiber content.
- Boost heart health because of high in magnesium level.
Labels: Budget Meals, Chutney, South Indian Recipes