Aval dosai / Poha dosai is a simple, easy and yummy breakfast dish. This spongy dosa is very soft in center and lightly crispy over the edges. Dosa is made with parboiled rice, rice flakes, butter milk, fenugreek and cooking soda and this dosa does not need any fermentation only soaking. You can make this dosa, if you don't have idly dosa batter at home. Though this dosa is suppose to be thick, you can also make it thin. So try this spongy aval (poha) dosa for breakfast along with some spicy tomato chutney or idly podi.
Recipe Source : Raks Kitchen
Preparation Time : 8 Hrs
Cooking Time : 30 Mins
Makes : 8-10 Dosa
2 Cups of Idly Rice (Parboiled Rice)
1/4 Cup of Aval / Poha / Rice Flakes
3.5 Cups of Sour Butter Milk
1/4 Tsp of Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek Seeds
Oil and Salt as Needed
- Soak both the aval and rice flakes in buttermilk (not in water) for overnight.
- Next day morning, drain the buttermilk, add fresh water and grind it to a smooth batter consistency, but consistency should be little watery than idly dosa batter.
- Add salt and cooking soda to the batter, mix well.
- Heat a non stick dosa pan or griddle, I used cast iron pan, pour a ladleful of batter, don't spread it like thin dosa, it should be thick. Drizzle some oil over dosa or in sides, cover and cook it for a min. If you want, you can cook on the other side, otherwise it is not necessary.
- Spongy dosa is ready to serve with tomato chutney or any spicy chutney.
- Flipping the dosa and cooking on other side is optional.
- Always add baking soda, just before you use the batter.
- If you don't want buttermilk, leave the batter overnight for fermentation.
Tags : avalrecipe, aval dosa, poha dosa, spongydosa, how to make spongy dosa, how to make aval dosai, dosai recipe, no fermentation dosa, easy dosa
Labels: Breakfast, Budget Meals, dinner, Dosa, South Indian Recipes